Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G. [is.gd/lVybmA], Minister of Information of the Bay Area Movement for a People's Democracy (MPD) [peoplesdemocracybayarea.blogspot.com].
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link]. Send news & info to [NorthbayUprising@) gmail.com], facebook [is.gd/FvFAHB]
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
Stories are reviewed and provided by Bay Area MPD Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* Learn about the recently held Northbay Community Engagement Fair [is.gd/BquzTT]!
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY: Updates on campaigns across the Nation!
* "MORE PRACTICAL ORGANIZING FOR ANTIFA AND BEYOND" (2017-01-30, antifadallas.wordpress.com) [archive.is/mlfpK]
* "shia labeouf arrested in new york after attacking neo-nazi; New York City cops dragged him off the livestream for He Will Not Divide Us, his four year long anti-Trump protest piece" (2017-01-25, i-d.vice.com) [archive.is/bbf3c]:
Launched last Thursday to coincide with Trump's Presidential inauguration, He Will Not Divide Us is a live-streamed, open-call to any and everyone to repeat the phrase "he will not divide us" as often, and for as long, as they like. Created by Shia and his artistic collaborators Luke Turner and Nastja Rönkkö, it's described as "a show of resistance or insistence, opposition or optimism", and has drawn crowds of spectators and celebrities alike.
Shia himself has been regularly appearing in the live-feed, but not without controversy. Three days ago he got into a confrontation with a man wearing a Nazi hat. In response, Shia shouted "he will not divide us" at him, as the neo-Nazi tried to hijack the camera, whilst chanting white supremacist slogans. Following a second altercation with a man who shouted "Hitler did nothing wrong", Shia has now been arrested and charged with assault and harassment. The live-stream showed Shia pushing the man away, before grabbing him by the scarf. Later Shia was shown being handcuffed and led away by New York City cops.
* "Protesters climb crane at DC construction site" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/j41JR]:
A group of at least seven protesters, apparently with Greenpeace, are scaling a crane in downtown Washington DC in protest at US President Donald Trump.
DC police originally responded to a call reporting a disorderly person, only to find the activists scaling a construction crane near the old Washington Post building. Armed with climbing equipment and safety harnesses, the protesters unfurled a 35ft by 75ft banner reading “Resist,” 270ft above the ground.
The protesters are preventing workers from entering the building site, while police have sealed off 15th St. between L and M St., NW and L St. between L and M St., NW.
Robert Glover of the Metropolitan Police Department told reporters on Wednesday morning that the protesters are thought to be linked to Greenpeace. They allegedly told officers that they were exercising their First Amendment right to free speech by expressing their grievances over the new environmental policies enacted by President Donald Trump, specifically his go-ahead for the construction of the Keystone XL and Dakota Access oil pipelines.
Greenpeace spokeswoman Cassady Sharp told the Washington Post that the site was especially chosen for its proximity to the White House, and aims “to send a message to the people who are feeling discouraged after just a few days of [President] Trump’s administration.”
* "Statement regarding the ongoing incident at 15th & L Street NW" (2017-01-25, DC Police Department, @DCPoliceDept) [archive.is/n0SFY]: A small group of protesters have engaged in dangerous behavior in downtown Washington, D.C. this morning. While we respect everyone's right to protest, today's actions are extremely dangerous and unlawful. Multiple government resources are being tied up, and unfortunately streets are blocked while first responders try to safely address this matter.
* "Don’t See What Happens, Be What Happens Continuous Updates from the Airport Blockades" (2017-01-29, crimethinc.com) [archive.is/XoDOz]
* "Airport shutdowns confirm: People Power will bring Trump down!" (2017-01-29, workers.org) [archive.is/KViyj]
* "At SFO, hundreds protest Trump’s ban as 3 travelers are detained" (2017-01-28, mercurynews.com) [archive.is/ZbTJD], comments [archive.is/hqehs]
* (2017-01-29, Ryan Smith) [archive.is/xiQE4]: At SFO. As per the lawyers for the detainees there is no confirmation all those detained have been released. We are staying put until all are confirmed released & after Syrian passengers on a flight from Turkey offload unmolested & unhindered. #Resist #NoBanNoWall
* " ‘Let them in’: Hundreds protest at JFK airport after Trump’s ‘Muslim ban’ " (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/bTFuR]
* "New York Taxi Workers Alliance Halting JFK Airport Pickups To Protest Immigration Ban" (2017-01-28, jalopnik.com) [archive.is/DVzEJ], photo from separate source (2017-01-28) [archive.is/5FsTN]:
TOWARDS REVOLUTIONARY SOLUTIONS
* "Cooperative Economics for a POC-Led Future: Aaron Tanaka" (2017-01-24, The Laura Flanders Show) [youtube.com/watch?v=06vaRNYIja0]: Under the Trump regime, we’ll certainly have to be on the defense to protect the communities most likely to be attacked -- but we’ll also have to build powerful, alternative models where POC, Muslim, undocumented, disabled, and queer folks have leadership. In this week’s episode, Laura speaks with Aaron Tanaka, founder and director of the Center for Economic Democracy about his longtime advocacy and visionary work for the next system of solidarity economics.
Tanaka wants to know if Trump will make us think think or act differently about extractive capitalism. To change the circumstances of injustice, whether it’s mass incarceration or mass displacement, we have to build our communities’ governance power to take control of their economic resources -- so says Tanaka.
Tanaka and the Center for Economic Democracy are one of the many organizations behind Boston’s Ujima program, which is funneling the discourse of democratic economics into the practice we need. The Ujima project is helping communities of color direct their resources into the ideas they believe in, through a cooperative model of community budgeting.
All this, and an F-Word from Laura on why we’ve got to look beyond personality politics to understand the actual culture that’s driving the nation’s voters.
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* " ‘FBI secret rules’ exposed: Pattern of white supremacists infiltrating police known - report" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/sLyD5]
* " ‘Locker room talk’: Officer sent racist texts to Black Lives Matter protest shooter" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/w8zgF]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "American Labor Isn’t Dead – But Definitely Needs to Wake Up; At the dawn of the Trump era, Labor is a sleeping giant with the ability to unite diverse swaths of American society and ultimately transform it" (2017-01-18, ideasandaction.info) [archive.is/7sZUX]
* "Harrods Breaking News: Victory! Victory! Victory!" (2017-01-20, @UVWunion) [archive.is/2WxYV], intro: “We have beaten Harrods, the richest and most prestigious department store in the world! 100% of the service charge will now go to staff! Thank you to everyone for your support and a big congratulations to the resilience and courage of our members, the Harrods restaurant workers, who have achieved this victory by joining United Voices of the World, getting organised and standing up to their employer’s outrageous practices.
* "Workers File More Than Thirty Wage Theft, Harassment, Intimidation Complaints Against Brands Owned by Trump’s Embattled Labor Secretary Nominee; Carl’s Jr., Hardee’s Cooks, Cashiers Announce Slew of Filings With Protests in 30+ Cities From Coast to Coast; Fast-Food Mogul Andy Puzder Calls His Workers “Worst of the Worst,” Forces Them onto Public Assistance, and Spent $10,000 Trying to Block a Minimum Wage Hike of Just $1" (2017-01-26, fightfor15.org) [archive.is/u4faU]
* "December 1986-January 1987: The Longest Rail Strike" (2016-12-30, by Alternative Libertaire, alternativelibertaire.org; machine translated by Ainfos.ca Newswire) [archive.is/jOGMy]
information collected by the Committee to
DEFEND THOSE WITHOUT HOMES!
* "Rain-Drenched and Dismissed by Mainstream Protest, Freedom Sleep #81 Won't Quit" (2017-01-24, by Robert Norse) [archive.is/gQW1c]
* "Still Pushing On---Freedom Sleepers Back Again at City Hall Tuesday for 82nd Tuesday" (2017-01-31, by Robert Norse) [archive.is/7GL7S]
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Deputies kill California man who reported home intruders" (2017-01-30, AP Newswire) [archive.is/SL8dU]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
[icwatch.transparencytoolkit.org]; "The Gentleperson’s Guide To Forum Spies (Spooks, Feds, etc.)" [archive.is/rBbXu]
* "Donald Trump Muslim immigration ban: US border patrol 'checking people's Facebook for political views' ; Refugees and green card holders detained and interrogated despite legal right to come to the US" (2017-01-28, independent.co.uk) [archive.is/VFN0r]
* "US Customs wants to collect social media account names at the border 'Please enter information associated with your online presence' " (2016-06-24, theverge.com) [archive.is/rjHBI]
* "FBI ‘secret rules’ revealed: Massive trove of documents unmask agency's shady tactics" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/qGeCH]
* "Twitter reveals details of 2 FBI national security letters after gag order lifted" (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/aQhED]
* "US uses its servers for unauthorized data collecting - Security Council; 'We have been fixing lately growing attempts from outer forces to damage Russian information systems,' Nikolai Patrushev said" (2017-01-15, tass.com) [archive.is/QtRiQ]
* "Google, Facebook purge fake news sites" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/mJm4Y]
* "Alphabet profit up as 'big bets' show promise" (2017-01-27, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/OBtu9]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: International Security Agencies, the Five-Eyes, and transnational partners
Why would one believe this surveillance program's methods are only for "immigrants"?
* "British govt spies on its citizens' health records to catch illegal immigrants – report" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/TG52h]
Any genetic material could be deciphered...
* "The Da Vinci DNA code: Scientists to restore Leonardo's face with genetic material from his drawings" (2016-05-06, rt.com) [archive.is/ZaFBi]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "California regains control of San Quentin inmate health care" (2017-01-25, AP Newswire) [archive.is/vd7PW]
Watch, and learn: "Jerahn's case - Scared straight" [youtube.com/watch?v=JxUaOqWKL20], 17 year old boy serves 35 years for Credit card fraud.
* "HOW ALBERT WOODFOX SURVIVED SOLITARY: As one of the Angola 3, he was in isolation longer than any other American. Then he came home to face his future" (2017-01-16, newyorker.com) [archive.is/dfFP0]
* "Reflections on Freedom" (2017-01-30, Angola 3) [archive.is/ciC2D]
* "Obama Administration Denies Clemency for Leonard Peltier" (2017-01-19, whoisleonardpeltier.info) [archive.is/xWYBb]
* "Chelsea Manning to Be Released Early as Obama Commutes Sentence" (2017-01-17, nytimes.com) [archive.is/7EfBQ] [begin excerpt]: At the same time that Mr. Obama commuted the sentence of Ms. Manning, a low-ranking enlisted soldier at the time of her leaks, he also pardoned Gen. James E. Cartwright, the former vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who pleaded guilty to lying about his conversations with reporters to F.B.I. agents investigating a leak of classified information about cyberattacks on Iran’s nuclear program.
The two acts of clemency amounted to a remarkable final step for a president whose administration carried out an unprecedented criminal crackdown on leaks of government secrets. Depending on how they are counted, the Obama administration has prosecuted either nine or 10 such cases, more than were charged under all previous presidencies combined.
In addition, Mr. Obama on Tuesday commuted the sentence of Oscar Lopez Rivera, who was part of a Puerto Rican nationalist group that carried out a string of bombings in the late 1970s and early 1980s; the other members of that group had long since been freed. Mr. Obama also granted 63 other pardons and 207 other commutations — mostly of drug offenders.
Under the terms of Mr. Obama’s commutation announced by the White House on Tuesday, Ms. Manning is set to be freed on May 17 of this year rather than in 2045. A senior administration official said the 120-day delay was part of a standard transition period for commutations to time served, and was designed to allow for such steps as finding a place to live after her release. [end excerpt]
* "WAT Denounces Trump Administration’s Draft Executive Order on Detention; Witness Against Torture Calls for the Rejection of Executive Order Measures, Warns of Broad Dangers of Trump Agenda" (2017-01-26, witnessagainsttorture.com) [archive.is/zOTHk]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* "GOP makes plans to invalidate Endangered Species Act" (2017-01-17, yahoo.com) [is.gd/dzIg6R]
* "Minnesota, Wisconsin and Wyoming have decided to eradicate wolves; 'War on Wolves Act' Senators from Midwest and Wyoming introduce bill to strip protections from endangered gray wolves" (2017-01-24, whitewolfpack.com) [archive.is/BtuHQ]
* "Scientists' March on Washington: The responsible application of science to government" (2017-01-21, scientistsmarchonwashington.com) [archive.is/31CKL]
* "Scientists' March On Washington Being Planned; Following in the footsteps of the Women’s March on Washington last weekend, scientists have now begun to organize; Scientists are drawing a line in the sand" (2017-01-26, forbes.com) [archive.is/GtCmN]
* "Scientists Are Creating An Online "Resistance" Movement Against Trump Administration" (iflscience.com) [archive.is/r3VvB]
* (2017-01-25) [archive.is/4IFmY]: The resistance. Twitter accounts from inside the gov. Full list at link [archive.is/BRLr2] [peeep.us/c7cf2ce2].
* (2017-01-28, facebook.com/AltUSNationalParkService) [archive.is/lTr1u]: Hello, we wanted to take a moment to let you know who we are. We're a growing coalition of 59 National Park Service employees from nine different National Parks. We formed to ensure the protection of the environment for future generations to come. We were forced into a media blackout, hiring freeze, policy changes, and possible reduction in funding. We are here to stand up and speak out against the current administration. We all refuse to be silenced while we watch everything we love crumble. Join the movement at [www.altnps.org] -Arches, Glacier, Everglades, Cuyahoga Valley, Rocky Mountain, Shenandoah, Yosemite, Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
* "EPA research to get 'case by case' vetting before publication – admin official" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/1zpMK]
* (data.gov/climate) [archive.is/xRhsw]: Here you can find data related to climate change that can help inform and prepare America’s communities, businesses, and citizens. You can currently find data and resources related to coastal flooding, food resilience, water, ecosystem vulnerability, human health, energy infrastructure, transportation and the Arctic region. Over time, you will be able to find additional data and tools relevant to other important climate-related impacts.
* (toolkit.climate.gov) [archive.is/hRqmI]:
* "Abigail Ross Hopper Named as SEIA’s President and Chief Executive Officer" (2017-01-09, seia.org) [archive.is/yRUnB] [begin excerpt]: Abigail Ross Hopper has been named president and chief executive officer of the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and will start Jan. 17.
Ms. Hopper brings to the top post at SEIA extensive leadership experience overseeing federal and state agencies. She joins SEIA from the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) within the Department of Interior where she weighed complex and sometimes conflicting factors to achieve balanced federal energy policy. Among her achievements were the leasing and permitting of oil, gas and renewable energy projects.
Prior to that, she led the Maryland Energy Administration (MEA), served as energy advisor to former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley, and was deputy general counsel to the Maryland Public Service Commission. Her expertise in energy markets and state-level electricity policy, as well as her experience managing environmental issues, will be critical to ensuring the advancement of solar energy across the United States. [...]
“I am thrilled to lead the Solar Energy Industries Association,” Hopper said. “I have spent my career working with all sides of the political and ideological spectrum to arrive at pragmatic approaches to energy policy. I look forward to utilizing that experience to serve our SEIA members.” [end excerpt]
* "Iowa pipeline leak brings attention back to Keystone & Dakota Access" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/tANhQ]
* " 'This fight means my kids will have drinking water': 16yo arrested protesting pipeline in Texas" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/U4Wn0]
* "Development is forcing some typically monogamous birds to 'divorce' their mates" (2017-01-27, Washington Post newspaper) [archive.is/gj8BS]
* "Mighty River, Might Filter" (2017-01, soils.org) [archive.is/JwEfj] [begin excerpt]: Over the last century, the amount of chemical pollutants, in particular nitrogen fertilizer, in the river increased dramatically. When the river reaches the Gulf of Mexico, the pollutants create a low oxygen “dead zone” covering over 5,000 square miles. That’s partly because the Mississippi River is missing one of its main filters: the floodplain.
White and his colleagues at LSU research ways to remove pollutants from the river. One method is reconnecting the river to the floodplain. As rivers flow into floodplains they carry soils with them, creating a wetland. Wetlands trap chemical pollutants like nitrogen. The low oxygen and high organic matter in a wetland create a unique environment. As bacteria adapt to this environment, they convert fertilizer nitrogen into a benign nitrogen gas.
“There’s a whole subset of microorganisms that do this,” says White. “You just have to get the process going.” [end excerpt]
* "Nanoparticle fertilizer could contribute to new 'green revolution' " (2017-01-25, acs.org) [archive.is/3cJER]
* "High price of shrimp linked to water pollution: study" (2017-01-30, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/7mER6] [begin excerpt]: The price of big-sized shrimp can rise as a direct result of pollution from fertilizers that cause dead zones in coastal waters, US researchers said Monday.
The study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences is the first to show how a low-oxygen water problem called hypoxia is related to the climbing price of seafood.
"Many studies have documented the ecological impacts of hypoxia, but establishing a clear causal link to economic losses in affected fisheries has been elusive," said lead author Martin Smith, professor of environmental economics at Duke University.
"Our study does this by showing how seasonal hypoxia off the Louisiana and Mississippi coasts drives monthly fluctuations in market prices in the Gulf brown shrimp fishery, a major fishery that was once the most valuable in America."
Coastal hypoxia is a worldwide problem linked to fertilizer use in agriculture. [end excerpt]
* "Toxic mercury in aquatic life could spike with greater land runoff" (2017-01-27, Rutgers University) [archive.is/rCqXg], summary: A highly toxic form of mercury could jump by 300 to 600 percent in zooplankton – tiny animals at the base of the marine food chain – if land runoff increases by 15 to 30 percent, according to a new study. And such an increase is possible due to climate change, according to a new pioneering study.
* "Ocean acidification can promote shell formation" (2017-01-27, phys.org) [archive.is/y5jiQ]
* "Macedonians send out SOS from Europe's oldest lake" (2017-01-29, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/kK0Ko] [begin excerpt]: A fishing boat glides across the shimmering surface of Europe's oldest lake, a haven of biodiversity and a UNESCO World Heritage Site -- one that conservationists warn faces multiple development threats.
Lake Ohrid, which straddles the mountainous border of Macedonia and Albania, has been in existence for up to three million years and is home to more than 200 species of flora and fauna found nowhere else in the world.
But huge infrastructure plans on the Macedonian side have alarmed environmentalists and the United Nation's cultural agency UNESCO, which has called on the country's authorities for an urgent assessment of the potential cumulative damage.
The proposals include a large ski complex and an expressway through the lakeside Galicica National Park, itself a protected area home to thousands of plant and animal species.
Local activists are also incensed by proposed "touristic development zones" and other urbanisation plans on Ohrid's shores, including a marina and apartment buildings.
They fear the destruction of a 50-hectare (120-acre) wetland serving as a crucial natural filter to the lake, pointing to a draft impact assessment, commissioned by the local government, that warns of unavoidable damage.
Officials insist they will protect Ohrid's heritage, but campaigners accuse them of manipulation and violating laws to allow such developments to go ahead.
The "tsunami" of planned infrastructure projects, if implemented, "means that you can just say goodbye to the UNESCO World Heritage Site," said Aleksandra Bujaroska, an environmental lawyer in the Balkan country.
Bujaroska is part of the citizens' association Front 21/42, which is campaigning for a moratorium on all of the "destructive" plans.
"The big issue with all of these procedures... is the constant breach of public participation," said the 30-year-old lawyer, who grew up in Ohrid and is based in the capital Skopje. [end excerpt]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* " ‘Unnecessary risk’: FDA says homeopathic teething product is toxic, company won’t recall" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/Xagpo]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]; National Radiation Map [radiationnetwork.com], depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every minute.
* "Amid new arms race, Putin & Trump must spearhead int’l law banning nuclear war – Gorbachev" (2017-01-23, rt.com) [archive.is/MR4eA]
* "CIA files: US & Soviet nuclear sub crash off Scotland ‘could have sparked global war’ " (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/lpKs1]:
Newly declassified CIA files indicate that a US submarine laden with 160 warheads collided with a Soviet vessel off the coast of Scotland in 1974. Experts say it could easily have caused nuclear war.
The files seem to confirm the long-rumored Cold War incident occurred near Holy Loch, Argyll, where the US once had a permanent nuclear base. Chillingly, the crash took place just 30 miles (48km) off the coast of Glasgow.
While the US never officially confirmed the crash had taken place, the documents show it was reported at the highest levels at the time in a memo to Henry Kissinger – then secretary of state to President Gerald Ford – on November 3, 1974.
The memo, seen by the Times, told Kissinger: “Have just received word from the Pentagon that one of our Poseidon submarines has just collided with a Soviet submarine.
“The SSBN James Madison was departing Holy Loch to take up station when it collided with a Soviet submarine waiting outside the port to take up trail.
“Both submarines surfaced and the Soviet boat subsequently submerged again. There is no report yet of the extent of damage. Will keep you posted,” the message assured Kissinger.
Experts said that in the confusion of the collision it is perfectly feasible a war could have been sparked.
“The James Madison was a ballistic missile submarine armed with 16 Poseidon missiles with 160 nuclear warheads,” nuclear weapons expert Hans Kristensen told the Times.
In the worst case scenario, the collision could have triggered explosions that ignited the ballistic missile fuel and ejected or destroyed the warheads, said Kristensen.
There was also a clear possibility for a war “if the crew on one of the submarines had misinterpreted the collision as an attack and decided to defend itself and sink the other submarine,” he added.
The revelation comes just days after it emerged a British test-fired Trident missile veered off course towards Florida during an exercise in June 2016. The missile was not nuclear armed at the time.
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "Nordic countries are bringing about an energy transition worth copying; What can we learn from the Nordic low-carbon energy transition given the new US leadership vacuum on climate change? A new study offers some important lessons" (2017-01-27, University of Sussex) [archive.is/23w1H]
* "Prysmian UK to develop the land cable connections for the East Anglia ONE offshore wind farm; A 220 kV underground cable will link 102 turbines to the grid to power 500,000 homes; 'We are proud to be involved in a world-leading project of this significance for the UK renewable energy sector,' said Llyr Roberts, Prysmian UK CEO" (2017-01-30, prysmiangroup.com) [archive.is/k5vhQ]
* "Xinhua: U.S. wasting opportunity in clean energy; President Trump's energy agenda aims to sideline "unnecessary" climate policies" (2017-01-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/vi2hz]
* "Off-grid power in remote areas will require special business model to succeed" (2017-01-05, oregonstate.edu) [archive.is/gxc26]
* "100% renewable energy sources require overcapacity; To switch electricity supply from nuclear to wind and solar power is not so simple" (2017-01-24, springer.com) [archive.is/ELXY4]
* "Battery-powered revolution: Tesla storage plant to power 15K Californian homes" (2017-01-30, rt.com) [archive.is/tWddr]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
The USA never had a "full democracy" with the Two-Party dictatorship under the old (or new) Jim Crow regime...
* "US no longer ‘full democracy’ – Economist Group report" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/rFIxb]
* "Fraud on voters? S. Dakota lawmakers repeal lobbying, financing reforms passed by residents" (2017-01-26, rt.com) [archive.is/5WHvq]
President Donald Trump's regime -
* "President Trump: Nationalist Capitalism, An Alternative to Globalization" (2017-01-27, petras.lahaine.org) [archive.is/TvNPR]
* "Trump tax reform could ‘transform’ global oil market, says Goldman Sachs" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/MZU58]: The Republican Party’s proposed shift to border-adjusted corporate tax (BTA) could have a significant impact on the global oil market, pushing US crude prices higher and triggering large-scale domestic production, said analysts at Goldman Sachs.
The border tax intends to boost US manufacturing by taxing imports while exempting US business export revenues from corporate taxation.
"If implemented, the impacts on the oil market would be significant," Goldman said.
The switch to BTA would lift US crude futures 25 percent over global prices and provide an incentive for local producers to boost output.
"We expect WTI [US crude benchmark – Ed.] could move to a $10 per barrel premium to Brent from a $3 discount - a $13 (+25 percent) relative move immediately," Goldman said.
It warned that while global crude market is only starting to rebalance, the ramp up in US production would create a renewed large oil surplus next year. That could lead to an immediate sharp decline in global oil prices, Goldman said.
According to the bank, in the medium-term, the impact on oil prices would depend on “how quickly US production reacts to higher prices versus how quickly the rest of the world reacts to make space for higher US production.”
“If 2017-2018 WTI oil prices move to $68 per barrel, our analysis implies the incremental investment could result in 1.5 million barrels per day of 2018 US oil growth,” said Goldman. “Unless OPEC cuts further, this could oversupply global oil markets and potentially lead to another oil boom-bust cycle.”
It also said it sees Brent prices coming down to $50 per barrel in 2019, assuming a 15 percent appreciation in the US dollar upon implementation of the BTA, and a 30 percent pass-through of US production costs to global production costs.
In the long run, that would result in 2020 Brent prices falling to $40 per barrel, Goldman analysts added.
The positive impact of BTA on US producers would be similar to that on the country’s refiners, giving them higher returns.
On the campaign trail, US President Donald Trump pledged to lower the corporate tax rate to just 15 percent, encouraging the world's corporate titans to create jobs and build factories in the US. He has threatened German car manufacturers with a 35 percent tax on vehicles imported to the US market.
Details of Trump’s tax plan have not been publicly released yet.
* "Only 15% of physicians want Obamacare repeal - poll" (2017-01-26, rt.com) [archive.is/Ed24G]
* (retrieved 2017-01-29): Numbers taken from a report in Time about what the roles of the 17 federal agencies 45 has threatened and how much they cost the average taxpayer.
Take my $1.37... I want my PBS.
Take my $.46... I am all for federal funding of art programs.
Take my $.46... I love my museums, colleges, and libraries.
Take my $.11... I support developing minority businesses.
Take my $.66... I am for entrepreneurship and innovation.
Take my $1.60... I want us to export more goods overseas.
Take my $0.43... I would like to see more American manufacturing.
Take my $0.88... I think community policing needs vast improvement.
Take my $1.48... I support programs for women.
Take my $1.55... I believe in due process for all.
Take my $0.48... We need a civil rights division in the justice department.
Take my $0.38... I think we need to defend our Mother Earth.
Take my $0.03... I know more work needs to be done for climate change. (I'd pony up more for this!!!!)
Take my $8.95... because we need more sustainable energy.
Take my $2.71... we should reduce our carbon footprint.
If saving these programs means I'm out $22.36 a year, I'm good with contributing my $.07 a day to save American jobs and these federal programs.
* "Constitutional Crisis Lurks Behind Trump’s Obsession With His Public Mandate" (2017-01-26, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/5KmFr]
* "Dukes v. Deaton" (by Richard Chen): Here is an interesting case decided by Bill Pryor (.pdf) [is.gd/muI8kE], the most extreme of Trump's potential Supreme Court nominees, and a protegee of Jeff Sessions.
This 11th Circuit (Alabama, Georgia, Florida) decision holds that a cop has qualified immunity from liability for excessive force after he threw a flashbang onto a bed in a dark room where two people were sleeping. It is a violation of the Constitution to throw the flashbang, but because it was not clear, objectively, that it would have been a violation of the Constitution to throw the flashbang, the cop has immunity. Throwing a flashbang onto a bed where two people are sleeping is not one of those situations where it is blatantly obvious that it would be a violation of the Constitution. Also, you can't infer that the cop intentionally threw the flashbang. He might just have forgotten to look at where he was throwing it. He is entitled to do this, because one of the people on the bed had a gun.
* "With National Security Council Shakeup, Steve Bannon Gets A Seat At The Table" (2017-01-29, npr.org) [archive.is/t0Cmg]
* (2017-01-29, forwarded on facebook.com): Yesterday, the President downgraded the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Director of National Intelligence from the National Security Council. They will now attend on an ad hoc basis. They have been effectively replaced with Steve Bannon. Bannon has no government, intelligence, or high-level military experience; his experience is leading a propaganda outlet (Breitbart News) that peddles nationalist and white nationalist viewpoints.
This would be deeply concerning in and of itself. But one of the jobs of the NSC is to oversee a secret panel that authorizes the assassination of “enemies of the United States Government” – including American citizens. These targeted killings are fully authorized by law under the Congressional military authorization act following 9/11. There is no trial, no due process, and no public record of the decision or the assassination itself.
Just to recap the absurdity: the President of the United States has appointed a known propagandist, nationalist, and white supremacist to replace the highest military advisor in the country on a council that authorizes secret, legal, targeted killings of American citizens (and others) without due process.
What You Can Do:
- Call your Senators and Congressperson this week and demand that they publicly and legislatively oppose Trump’s appointment of Steven Bannon to the NSC.
- Spread the word about this news to your networks, since this is not getting a lot of coverage right now.
* "Top Trump advisor asks mainstream media to keep mouth shut; 'I want you to quote this. The media here is the opposition party. They don't understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the US,' Bannon said" (2017-01-27, indianexpress.com) [archive.is/Y1PXG]
* "Is Steve Bannon Racist? Let's Find Out!" (2016-11-14, motherjones.com) [archive.is/fcPvQ]
* "Breitbart News’ Worst Headlines" (2016-08-17, mediamatters.org) [archive.is/X65Z4]
* "10 of Breitbart's most incendiary headlines" (2016-11-15, money.cnn.com) [archive.is/JgPcY]
* "Breitbart’s Greatest Hit (Pieces): Some Of The Website’s Most Disgusting Headlines; A taste of what we’re in for" (2016-11-14, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/mcy5p]
* "Stephen Bannon and Breitbart News, in Their Words" (2016-11-14, nytimes.com) [archive.is/KzbgM]
* "Trump announces ‘major’ voter fraud investigation" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/RKfOw]
* "Trump's voter fraud probe could ensnare daughter & top officials" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/G9oqR]
* "Trial Balloon for a Coup? Analyzing the news of the past 24 hours" (2017-01-29, medium.com) [peeep.us/5a7287b5] [begin excerpt]:
I see a few key patterns here. First, the decision to first block, and then allow, green card holders was meant to create chaos and pull out opposition; they never intended to hold it for too long. It wouldn’t surprise me if the goal is to create “resistance fatigue,” to get Americans to the point where they’re more likely to say “Oh, another protest? Don’t you guys ever stop?” relatively quickly.
However, the conspicuous absence of provisions preventing them from executing any of the “next steps” I outlined yesterday, such as bulk revocation of visas (including green cards) from nationals of various countries, and then pursuing them using mechanisms being set up for Latinos, highlights that this does not mean any sort of backing down on the part of the regime.
Note also the most frightening escalation last night was that the DHS made it fairly clear that they did not feel bound to obey any court orders. CBP continued to deny all access to counsel, detain people, and deport them in direct contravention to the court’s order, citing “upper management,” and the DHS made a formal (but confusing) statement that they would continue to follow the President’s orders. [...]
That is to say, the administration is testing the extent to which the DHS (and other executive agencies) can act and ignore orders from the other branches of government. This is as serious as it can possibly get: all of the arguments about whether order X or Y is unconstitutional mean nothing if elements of the government are executing them and the courts are being ignored.
Yesterday was the trial balloon for a coup d’état against the United States. It gave them useful information. [end excerpt]
* "Reince Priebus Defends Holocaust Statement That Failed to Mention Jews" (2017-01-29, nytimes.com) [archive.is/s8sgH] [begin excerpt]: Amid protests and legal challenges over President Trump’s immigration order, the White House also found itself on the defensive this weekend about a normally routine statement about International Holocaust Remembrance Day that drew criticism and scorn.
The statement released on Friday failed to mention Jews or anti-Semitism, something that past presidential statements had done without fail.
Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, defended the language in a Sunday interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” telling the host, Chuck Todd, “I don’t regret the words.”
Mr. Priebus continued, “I mean, everyone’s suffering in the Holocaust including obviously, all of the Jewish people affected and the miserable genocide that occurred — it’s something that we consider to be extraordinarily sad.”
He added: “If we could wipe it off of the history books, we would. But we can’t.” [...]
The statement also failed to specifically mention the Roma, the disabled, the gay people and other groups that were targeted on political and ideological grounds, including communists and socialists.
On Saturday, Hope Hicks, a spokeswoman for the president, had told a CNN reporter that the wording was intentional because the administration is “an incredibly inclusive group and we took into account all of those who suffered.” [...]
The White House statement also drew strong criticism from Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia, Hillary Clinton’s running mate.
“This is what Holocaust denial is,” Mr. Kaine said on “Meet the Press.” “Many Holocaust deniers acknowledge: ‘Oh yeah, people were killed, but it was a lot of innocent people. Jews weren’t targets.’” [end excerpt]
* "Trump Appoints Hate Group Leader to Border Patrol Agency; Julie Kirchner, former executive director of an anti-immigrant hate group, now has a key role with U.S. Border Patrol" (2017-01-27, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/LavKj]
* "Trump calls for 20% import tax from Mexico to pay for border wall" (2017-01-26, rt.com) [archive.is/eAIFk]
* "Trump to order Mexican border wall, ban refugees from 7 Muslim countries" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/zZQ1S]
* "Trump orders construction of border wall, threatens cuts to sanctuary cities" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/T8iUg]
* "Texas governor threatens Austin sheriff for ‘sanctuary city’ policies" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/5NALI]
* "Mexico Voices Strong Protest After Netanyahu Tweets About Trump's Wall; The Prime Minister was quick to issue a statement saying Netanyahu's tweet was not an attempt to weigh in on U.S.-Mexico ties after Mexico voices anger" (2017-01-28, haaretz.com) [archive.is/EwZ3C]
* "Trump Bars All Refugees, and Citizens From 7 Muslim Nations" (2017-01-27, nytimes.com) [archive.is/qmxKo]
* "Trump’s Immigration Ban Excludes Countries With Business Ties" (2017-01-26, bloomberg.com) [archive.is/GhTHb]
* "Countries where Trump does business are not hit by new travel restrictions" (2017-01-28, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/qZlEI]
* "UNHCR speaks out as Donald Trump suspends US refugee programme" (2017-01-28, telegraph.co.uk) [archive.is/y5PzL]
* "Customs agents ignore judge, enforce Trump’s travel ban: ACLU" (2017-01-29, nypost.com) [archive.is/yB0LS]
* "Despite Court Order, US Officials Won’t Allow Lawyers at Dulles to See Detainees; 'Not going to happen,' is the message delivered to lawyers by a border agent" (2017-01-29, washingtonian.com) [archive.is/L8a5U]
* (2017-01-29, forwarded on facebook.com): As of 4:30pm yesterday afternoon, Muslim GREEN CARD holders, that is resident LEGAL aliens from certain countries, were prohibited from reentering the country for 90 days if they happened to be traveling. They were detained at airports and prohibited from returning to their homes.
Do you understand what this means?
It means that if you have lived in New Jersey for 20 years with your family and were traveling for business, you are now not allowed to return HOME for 90 days. You will most likely lose your job. Where will you go in the meantime? Will you stay at a hotel?
Or if you are a mother you happened to have gone to your father's funeral abroad at this unlucky time and tried to return home to your children, you are now not allowed to do so for 90 days.
Please don't talk to me about how necessary it is to conduct proper vetting. These people are GREEN CARD holders. A green card holder is a LEGAL alien. He or she has essentially the same rights as a citizen, with respect to residency. They HAVE been properly vetted. These actions against them are 100% ILLEGAL. If it can be them today, it can be you and me tomorrow!
If this doesn't scare you, you are not paying attention. This is not a democracy.
* "Donald Trump didn’t come up with the list of Muslim countries he wants to ban. Obama did" (2017-01-27, mic.com) [archive.is/8wjTG]
* "New York Yemenis stunned by Trump's ban: 'I feel like somebody has killed me' ; Legal residents and green card holders worry that family members left behind – some prevented from boarding flights – have been put in grave danger" (2017-01-28, theguardian.com) [archive.is/nrVdK]
* "Trump Refugee Order Dashes Hopes Of Iraqis Who Helped The U.S. ; 'Mr. Trump, the new president, killed our dreams' " (2017-01-28, Reuters Newswire) [archive.is/WFGEi]
* "An Iraqi Who Helped The US Military Was Among The First To Be Detained Under Trump’s Ban; The man has since been released from custody, but at least 11 other immigrants and refugees remain detained at JFK" (2017-01-28, buzzfeed.com) [archive.is/RK6Fb], photo caption: Hameed Khalid Darweesh after his release on Saturday.
* "Iraqi MPs urge punitive measures against US in return for Trump’s ‘Muslim ban’ " (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/E5sYK]
* "Trump's visa ban also applies to dual citizens: report" (2017-01-28, thehill.com) [archive.is/8AcnJ]
* "Trump Visa Ban Also Applies to Citizens With Dual Nationality, State Department Says; The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad suspends visa application for Iraqi nationals" (2017-01-28, wsj.com) [archive.is/7k5RT]
* "British passport holders in US entry battle as Donald Trump bans travellers from seven Muslim countries and court rules those who arrived with visas can stay" (2017-01-28, telegraph.co.uk) [archive.is/36PgB] [begin excerpt]: British citizens travelling to America on UK passports will be blocked from entering if they have dual-citizenship with countries targeted in Donald Trump's refugees banned.
The US State Department said that Britons with dual nationality with the countries Syria, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen will be stopped at the American border for the next 90 days. [end excerpt]
* "Iran to take 'reciprocal measures' after Trump's immigration order" (2017-01-28, edition.cnn.com) [archive.is/8AaDU]
* "Petition to ban Trump state visit gathers over 500k names, smashes debate quota" (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/rd8Ln]
* "Indian-American woman stopped, quizzed about immigration status in the United States" (2017-01-28, timesofindia.indiatimes.com) [archive.is/syPKI]
* "When Donnie met Modi", a speculation of what was said between authoritarians... read the transcript here [archive.is/RdnDq].
* "Trump, Modi Discuss Strengthening US-Indian Partnership in Economy, Defense; Donald Trump and Narendra Modi in a phone call on Tuesday discussed bolstering the bilateral relation in economic and security-related areas" (2017-01-25, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/LMZ8J]
* "BJP's Yogi Adityanath Praises Trump Ban, Compares Western UP To Kashmir" (2017-01-31, ndtv.com) [archive.is/4tAzX]
* "Trump Poised to Lift Ban on C.I.A. ‘Black Site’ Prisons" (2017-01-25, nytimes.com) [archive.is/PpHU9]
* "Trump imposes lifetime ban on foreign govt lobbying for appointees" (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/9cave]
* " ‘Fix crime rate or I’ll send in feds’ – Trump to Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel" (2016-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/0p2rw]
* "Trump Administration Absolutely Outraged Someone Would Try To Delegitimize A President; Who would do such a thing?" (2017-01-26, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/jCA7o]
* "Trump staff using RNC private server for emails – report" (2017-01-26, rt.com) [archive.is/lnGVI]
* "Sean Spicer won’t say what the unemployment rate is" (2017-01-23, businessinsider.com) [archive.is/5il2A]
* "President Trump says homicides in Philadelphia are ‘terribly increasing.’ They are actually down" (2017-01-26, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/3wHPF]
* "Trump’s Lies vs. Your Brain Unfortunately, it’s no contest. Here’s what psychology tells us about life under a leader totally indifferent to the truth" (2017-01-23, politico.com) [archive.is/rsQWH]
* "Cognitive science says a lying leader like Trump can scramble your mind and destabilize society" (2017-01-26, rawstory.com) [archive.is/DUb9i] [begin excerpt]: “A whopping 70 percent of Trump’s statements that PolitiFact checked during the campaign were false [archive.is/PwfI1], while only 4 percent were completely true, and 11 percent mostly true,” wrote Ryding.
Lying appears to be a deeply “ingrained habit” in Trump. Ryding noted that reporters, biographers and others who have followed him closely over the decades say that he lies fluidly, frequently and about needlessly minor things.
Now that Trump is installed in office and has been telegraphing untruths from virtually the moment he was sworn in, the U.S. has entered a new phase in its history and the basic fabric of common understanding is at risk.
“Lies are exhausting to fight, pernicious in their effects and, perhaps worst of all, almost impossible to correct if their content resonates strongly enough with people’s sense of themselves, which Trump’s clearly do,” Ryding warned.
Harvard University researcher Daniel Gilbert says that a lie arrives in the brain in two stages. We instinctively believe statements and assertions in order to comprehend them. The “wait, that isn’t true” moment comes after and, as Ryding said, it “can be easily disrupted.”
“We must accept something in order to understand it,” Ryding said. It happens “effortlessly and automatically.” The second step involves cognitive work. We must affirm or reject every statement.
Gilbert wrote that human minds, “when faced with shortages of time, energy, or conclusive evidence, may fail to unaccept the ideas that they involuntarily accept during comprehension.”
“When we are overwhelmed with false, or potentially false, statements, our brains pretty quickly become so overworked that we stop trying to sift through everything,” Ryding explained. “It’s called cognitive load — our limited cognitive resources are overburdened. It doesn’t matter how implausible the statements are; throw out enough of them, and people will inevitably absorb some. Eventually, without quite realizing it, our brains just give up trying to figure out what is true.”
Trump also makes use of repetition to drive a false point into people’s minds. The phenomenon of “illusory truth” is when people have heard a false statement enough times, their minds begin to interpret it as true.
It was, Ryding said, “first discovered in the ’70s (.pdf) [is.gd/LNgNoq] and most recently demonstrated with the rise of fake news (.pdf) [is.gd/RFotEt]. ”
Furthermore, even repeating the phony assertion to disprove it only convinces people further of its truthfulness.
In politics, these principles are particularly dangerous, not least because people tend to automatically believe lies that comfort them by reaffirming their existing biases and beliefs.
“If false information comports with preexisting beliefs — something that is often true in partisan arguments — attempts to refute it can actually backfire [archive.is/XmL46], planting it even more firmly in a person’s mind (.pdf) [is.gd/4CoXlB],” Ryding said. “Brendan Nyhan, a political scientist at Dartmouth University who studies false beliefs, has found that when false information is specifically political in nature, part of our political identity, it becomes almost impossible to correct lies (.pdf) [is.gd/AFuato].” [end excerpt]
* "Big names back Trump tower; Soros, Deutsche Bank said to be in on 90-story building" (2004-10-28, articles.chicagotribune.com) [archive.is/C2NLG] [begin excerpt]: Donald Trump has lined up three New York hedge funds, including money from billionaire George Soros, to invest $160 million in his Chicago skyscraper, a key piece in perhaps the largest construction financing in the city's history, according to real estate sources and public documents. [...]
The document does not identify the other participants, but a key member is Grove Capital LLP, according to sources familiar with the transaction.
The firm manages most of the multibillion-dollar real estate portfolio of the $13 billion Soros Fund Management, from which Grove Capital was spun off last month. [end excerpt]
"Trump's America" -
* "Tomi Lahren Demonstrates How NOT to Advocate for Conservative Ideas" (2017-01-26, outsetmagazine.com) [archive.is/XluP2] [begin excerpt]: The Blaze’s Tomi Lahren is known for the edgy and pointed “Final Thoughts” segment of her show. Her messages are clear, controversial, and on the extreme side of conservative rhetoric. Unfortunately, instead of providing a compelling argument that could bring others to her side, Lahren is an expert at preaching to the choir.
A recently unearthed quote is no exception: “Americans stand up and fight for faith, family, and freedom. Syrians run away.”
Admittedly, the quote is an old one; Lahren originally posted it in October of 2015, but it recently resurfaced, along with many of her other quotes from her college days. [end excerpt]
* "Michele Bachmann claims gays, Islamic terrorists and Black Lives Matter are ‘working together’ to destroy America" (2017-01-25, pinknews.co.uk) [archive.is/Scjxa]
* " ‘Un-American’ Madonna songs banned on Texas radio station" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/FPLOU]
* "TEXARKANA RADIO STATION BANS MADONNA" (2017-01-24, HITS 105fm) [archive.is/ryi6W]: Texarkana’s Classic Hits station – HITS 105 is taking all Madonna songs off the air in the station’s local programming indefinitely following the singer’s comments over the weekend.
In addition to ‘F-bombs’ in her speech, Madonna talked about how upset the election results had made her including her now infamous, "Yes, I'm angry. Yes, I am outraged. Yes, I have thought an awful lot about blowing up the White House," comments.
General Manager of HITS 105, Terry Thomas, says “banning all Madonna songs at HITS 105 is not a matter of politics, it’s a matter of patriotism. It just feels wrong to us to be playing Madonna songs and paying her royalties when the artist has shown un-American sentiments. If all stations playing Madonna took their lead from us, that would send a powerful economic message to Madonna.”
* "Political yarn: Tennessee knitting store owner tells women’s movement supporters to ‘shop elsewhere’ " (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/wIMjV]
* "Hours after Trump signs Muslim ban, Texas mosque goes up in flames This is just tragic" (2017-01-28, thinkprogress.org) [peeep.us/f74a6501]
USA FASCISM: Dominionism & the "Prosperity Gospel"
* "American 'Christianity' Has Failed; Mainstream Christianity in America has failed. It looks nothing like Jesus" (2017-01-25, sojo.net) [is.gd/FOWfnU]
* "Mississippi governor signs law allowing businesses to refuse service to gay people" (2016-04-05, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/v59Un]
* " ‘Holy law book’: Father & son facing rape charges use Bible in defense" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/sJ80Y]
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "WikiLeaks appears to expose Clinton’s real position on DAPL; Podesta emails describe what the Democratic nominee promised unions in private" (2016-11-02, boulderweekly.com) [archive.is/x3Ft1]
USA FASCISM: State Media Watch
Documenting propaganda issued by the monopolist media and members of the state security regime that uphold the economic dictatorship, imperialist wars, and the "New Jim Crow" regime [mediamatters.org] [onlinecensorship.org]
How neutral could a private-sector partner of the domestic security regime be when enforcing what constitutes as "fake news"?
* "Facebook fights fake news with ‘Trending’ algorithm update" (2017-01-26, rt.com) [archive.is/A00dS]
* " ‘Fail Stream Media’: RT America special on how mainstream journalists became fake news" (2017-01-27, rt.com) [archive.is/o1kMg]
Selective arrests of journalists is a method of enforcing the State Media's domination over the "Market of Ideas"...
* " ‘Unacceptable in democracy!’ IFJ president slams US police for arresting journalists in DC" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/acw0c]
* "Felony Charges for Journalists Arrested at Inauguration Protests Raise Fears for Press Freedom" (2017-01-25, nytimes.com) [archive.is/TQgfD]
Here are some of the *actual* journalists arrested:
Evan Engel of Vocativ,
Alexander Rubinstein of RT America,
documentary producer Jack Keller,
freelancer Aaron Cantu and
independent journalists Shay Horse and Matt Hopard.
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
Sovereign nations of the "Indian Country", and of traditional lodges.
Map [archive.is/s4FYb]; News [indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com] [bsnorrell.blogspot.com]
* "#NODAPL MEANS NO SURRENDER" (2017-01-29, itsgoingdown.org) [archive.is/wIEow]
* "ND Dem Senator seeks Trump’s help to tackle DAPL protesters" (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/RBo64]
* "Malia Obama Is Woke and Protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline" (2017-01-28, esquire.com) [peeep.us/712cc8be]
* "RODENT POISON SPREAD BY NORTH DAKOTA RANCHER NOT CAUSE FOR 'DAPL COUGH' " (2017-01-24, hpr1.com) [archive.is/wW5zt]
DIRECT ACTION PRINCIPLES POSTED AT THE STANDING ROCK CAMP
USA Homeland's resident nations:
American Nation, including the State Sovereignty campaigns, and Dominionist Campaigns. [tenthamendmentcenter.com]
* "WHITE SUPREMACISTS’ HIT LIST OF SMALL TOWNS" (2017-01-25, hpr1.com) [archive.is/nGaBN]
* " ‘Alt-Right’ Figurehead, White Supremacist Richard Spencer Plans College Tour" (2017-01-24, forward.com) [archive.is/msXck]
* "Get to Know the Memes of the Alt-Right and Never Miss a Dog-Whistle Again" (2017-01-25, vice.com) [archive.is/vMsl5]
* " ’The KKK wants you’: White supremacist group delivers recruitment fliers in Maine, N. Carolina" (2017-01-30, rt.com) [archive.is/VPRug]
* "Harrison, Arkansas" (retrieved 2017-01-29, en.wikipedia.org) [archive.is/VVqTV] [begin excerpt]:
In 2013, a billboard appeared that read: "Anti-Racist is a Code Word for Anti-White. "In response, a local radio station removed its nearby billboard, and students from North Arkansas College passed out fliers calling for a protest of the sign. An official statement read: "The mayor’s office considers the content inflammatory, distasteful and not in line with the truth on how Harrison is a city of welcoming and tolerant citizens."
However, as of October, 2016, the billboard remains displayed. [end excerpt]
* "Ark. town known for ties to KKK tries to rebrand" (2012-03-27, fox16.com) [archive.is/Dom74]
* "Billboard draws criticism, protest" (2013-10-16, harrisondaily.com) [archive.is/AErs0]
* "Arkansas Town Responds To Controversial 'Anti-Racist Is A Code Word For Anti-White' Sign" (2013-11-07, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/4xSAS]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "UK court blocks Nigeria spill claims against Shell" (2017-01-26, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/6DrLi] [begin excerpt]: A British court on Thursday blocked pollution claims against Anglo-Dutch energy giant Shell by more than 40,000 Niger Delta residents demanding action over decades of oil spills in the region.
Members of the Ogale and Bille communities had applied for the case to be heard in Britain, arguing they could not get justice in Nigeria.
But the High Court in London said it did not have jurisdiction in the case, and that it was a matter of Nigerian law.
King Emere Godwin Bebe Okpabi, ruler of the Ogale Community, told AFP the decision would be appealed, saying: "The battle is not over. Not over at all. Never, never!
"We are highly disappointed with the ruling, but we are not broken," he added.
"We are very strong, we believe in the British judicial system, we believe this judge was wrong, and we believe by the grace of God we'll get justice in the Court of Appeal".
Legal firm Leigh Day, representing the claimants, called it a "very surprising decision".
"We are confident that the court will overturn this judgment," the legal firm's Daniel Leader told AFP.
"There is no hope of getting justice in the Nigerian system, the system is inefficient."
Leigh Day argued during November's hearing that Shell was "ultimately responsible for failing to ensure that its Nigerian subsidiary operates without causing environmental devastation".
Shell lawyer Peter Goldsmith countered that the case was aimed at establishing the High Court's jurisdiction over Shell's Nigerian subsidiary SPDC, opening the door for further claims. [end excerpt]
* "Deutsche Bank fined over 'mirror trading' scheme that moved billions from Russia" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/UMdjE]
* "Japanese company replaces office workers with artificial intelligence; Insurance firm Fukoku Mutual Life Insurance is making 34 employees redundant and replacing them with IBM’s Watson Explorer AI" (2017-01-05, theguardian.com) [archive.is/urfYd]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH: #OPDeathEaters
A study of the personal ideologies and social practices of those who benefit from the global capitalist regime. [WorldFascists.blogspot.com]
* " ‘Scientology knock-off’: Whistleblower exposes ‘cult’ that thinks ‘children are sexy’ " (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/gmGGh], attached video [is.gd/W331qb]
European racial vanguards
Golden Dawn International [golden-dawn-international-newsroom.blogspot.com], European Knights Project [europeanknightsproject.com/category/ekp-news], English Asatru News [englishnews.org/news-central.html], Council of European Canadians [eurocanadian.ca], Albion's People [albionofengland.blogspot.com]. [saxonmessenger.christogenea.org]
* "How prevalent are far right nationalists in Ukraine? An introduction to the new Ukraine" (2017-01-26, by Matt Florence, medium.com) [peeep.us/e87046b5]
information collected by the
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* Nuclear Resister E-Bulletin for January 2017 (nukeresister.org) [archive.is/BGpLY], including:
- "Sixteen arrested in actions against torture, Trump’s cabinet nominees" (from Witness Against Torture) [archive.is/fjyck]
- "Two peace activists arrested after entering BAE site in England, intending to disarm warplanes bound for Saudi Arabia" (from Campaign Against Arms Trade, caat.org.uk) [archive.is/a8T9y]
- "Pair arrested after labeling California drone base a 'crime scene' " (from Occupy Beale Air Force Base) [archive.is/4SV5o], photo [archive.is/b1jTw]:
* the Nuclear Resister print newsletter (2016-12-12, n.183) (.pdf) [is.gd/1irVaV], including:
- "Coast to Coast, Resisters Join Campaign Nonviolence"
- "Thirty Days for Missile Base Line Crossing; Three men arrested during a Hiroshima Day"
- "Catholic Worker Arrested at Oceana Naval Air Show"
- "Drone Resistance Week at Creech"
- "Round Five: Feds Threaten California Drone Resisters, Again"
- "Catholic Workers Arrested at Nevada Drone Base and Nuclear Site"
- "Sit-In for Pilgrim Shut Down"
- "Arrested Taking Photos at Vermont Yankee"
plus WRITINGS FROM JAIL [nukeresister.org/inside-out], & international notes!
- Milwaukee Catholic Worker Don Timmerman is taken into custody after chaining shut the door of the ROTC offices at Marquette University.
- Torture survivor Isa al-Aali, a refugee from Bahrain, was singled out for arrest among people blocking an arms trade gala in London, July 11, 2016.
* "Killer Drones-Obama’s Tragic Legacy and a Blunt and Homicidal Weapon Handed to His Successor", a series of presentations by Brian Terrell, introduction:
Brian Terrell participated in the first protests against killing by remote control in 2009, shortly after newly elected President Obama made assassination by Predator and Reaper drones the cornerstone of his military policy. Since his arrest at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada that spring, Brian has participated in nonviolent protests around the country and abroad as this deadly technology has been proliferating. At these protests he has been arrested many times, serving jail sentences in New York and Nevada and in 2013, he spent six months in federal prison for presenting a petition at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri. As a co-coordinator of Voices for Creative Nonviolence, he has traveled to Iraq and made several visits to Afghanistan and has met with drone victims there. He has spoken about drones at universities, high schools, churches and rallies in the United States, Europe and Asia and his writings on the subject have been widely published and translated into several languages. A peace activist for more than 40 years, Brian lives on a Catholic Worker farm in Maloy, Iowa, and is on the Nevada Desert Experience Council.
Those are the words of Faheem Qureshi who was just a young boy in 2009 when a U.S. drone, on the orders of a newly-elected President Barack Obama, fired a missile that slammed into his uncle's home in the Waziristan region of Pakistan where family and friends were gathered. Though others in the house were not, Qureshi was lucky to survive. [...]
Now approximately 21-years-old (he doesn't know his exact age), Qureshi has given his first interview with a western journalist in order to let the world know the damage the U.S. drone program has done to his life and those of others in the remote areas of Pakistan that have experienced the most aggressive attacks under the Obama presidency.
"If there is a list of tyrants in the world, to me," Qureshi told Ackerman through a translator, "Obama will be put on that list by his drone program."
As Ackerman reports, Qureshi's experience stands out not only because the attack which took one of his eyes and nearly killed him is believed to be first every ordered by President Obama, but also because it, like many others, killed and wounded many innocent people while missing its intended target [archive.is/ZShoJ] [begin quote]:
The available evidence suggests the strike was an error. Reporter Daniel Klaidman’s book about Obama’s drone strikes, Kill or Capture, claims that the first January 2009 strike had gone “terribly wrong” [archive.is/2tdp0], with the targeted Taliban member never having been on the premises. A leaked Pakistani government document records “9 civilians” being killed in a drone strike on 23 January 2009, an apparent reference to the one on Qureshi’s home; an unredacted version seen by the Guardian names his village and his dead uncle. [end quote]
"There are so many people like me in Waziristan that I know of who were targeted and killed who had nothing to do with militancy or the Taliban," Qureshi said, "so many women who have been killed, children who have been killed, but there is still no answer to this. Forget about the answers, there is not even acknowledgement that we were killed."
Qureshi acknowledged that sometimes drone strikes do, in fact, hit fighters but said the majority of people are like him – regular people with dreams and desires.
"What we know of the US is this is what they do to people like me," he said. "They uproot us, they kill us, they target us, without any reason. They turn our lives upside down. Of course the US is hated in that part of the world, and it’s hated more because of what they’ve done to people like me." [end excerpt]
* "Chinese military official warns that war with US under Trump is becoming a 'practical reality' " (2017-01-27, businessinsider.com) [archive.is/aPAyV]
* "Nuke rebuke: Bill requires declaration of war before Trump can launch nuclear attack" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/aDdTo]
* "Pre-emptive attack on Iran bill is active in the US House" (2017-01-29, theduran.com) [archive.is/9OIK9] [begin excerpt]: So it may well be with H.J.Res. 10, introduced in the House just as the new Congress began at the beginning of this month. This legislation, introduced by Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-FL), is as it appears: an authorization for the President to use military force against Iran. But it is much worse than that.
Why so? Because it specifically authorizes the president to launch a pre-emptive war on Iran at any time of his choosing and without any further Congressional oversight or input. The operative sentence in the resolution reads, “The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the United States as the President determines necessary and appropriate in order to achieve the goal of preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.”
President Trump — and, importantly, his entire national security team — has been extraordinarily aggressive toward Iran, repeatedly threatening that country both at the negotiating table and on the battlefield. H.J.Res 10 would be just the blank check the Administration craves to realize such threats. [end excerpt]
* "#End_Yemen_Siege: Activists urge end to conflict & airport reopening" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/rvtgs]
* "Blame Obama, not Trump: Twitter trolls Pelosi for Yemen policy memory loss" (2017-02-01, rt.com) [archive.is/opn6s]
* "70 people from 13 countries to march to Strasbourg for Öcalan; 70 people from 13 countries will march from Luxembourg to Strasbourg from 1 to 11 February to demand freedom for Kurdish People's Leader Abdullah Öcalan" (2017-01-29, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/MrUs30], photo [archive.is/22bV4]
* "Internationalist activists to march for Öcalan: Kurds are not alone; 70 people from 13 countries will march from Luxembourg to Strasbourg from 1 to 11 February to demand freedom for Kurdish People's Leader Abdullah Öcalan" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/s85SEL], attached video [youtube.com/watch?v=P1_axH6xwew]
* "The Syrian Refugees" photo essay (2017-01-28, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/i5fLa], photos: [archive.is/JmwBR] [archive.is/0lPRj] [archive.is/OzPFk] [archive.is/1ouR0] [archive.is/2q9SH] [archive.is/r4uh3] [archive.is/git54] [archive.is/RHOHp] [archive.is/s69iK] [archive.is/FVOvq] [archive.is/5y8UM] [archive.is/vctj8] [archive.is/UPNJu] [archive.is/xhNlw] [archive.is/lvM9x] [archive.is/mysae] [archive.is/Y0rMg] [archive.is/NerAh] [archive.is/Z26MX] [archive.is/Cu6oZ]
* "Training of ‘Brutal Burmese Army’ paid for by British taxpayer" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/JHGNk]
* "British soldiers denounce Iraq war, publicly throw away medals outside Downing Street" (2017-01-26, by Matt Florence) [peeep.us/27df3408] [begin excerpt]: Veterans for Peace UK puts on numerous demonstrations against British military action overseas such as in Afghanistan and Syria. One of the most famous of these was in 2015 when members of Veterans for Peace UK threw their medals onto the ground outside 10. Downing Street, the residence of the British Prime Minister. Ex-SAS member Ben Griffin stood outside the gates to the Prime Minister’s residence with his medals. Before he discarded them he said “I was given these medals for service on operations with the British army. This particular medal here was given to me for my part in the occupation of Iraq. Whilst I was over there I attacked civilians in their homes and took away their men to be tortured in prison. I no longer want this despicable thing”.
Poppies are worn in Britain as a symbol of support to the British armed forces, in a very similar way that the St George’s Ribbon is worn in Russia. However Veterans for Peace has rejected the red poppy campaign in favour of a white poppy which symbolises peace and rejecting of Britain’s foreign military actions. Members of Veterans for Peace UK laid a wreath of white poppies on the Cenotaph, one of Britain’s most famous war memorials.
Veterans for Peace have publically denounced the Iraq war and questioned the results of the Chilcot report, a 7 year investigation into the actions of the British military. The report found that many members of the British military were questioning British actions in Iraq, with one SAS chief demanding to know why the British army was “helping to run Latin American-style death squads?” According to another member of the SAS “The Americans were doing things like chucking farmers into Abu Ghraib [the notorious prison in Baghdad where US troops abused and tortured Iraqi detainees] or handing them over to the Iraqi authorities, knowing full well they were going to be tortured”. [end excerpt]
Photo caption: Veterans for Peace mark Remembrance Sunday at the London Cenotaph. 9–11–14 The organisation of ex servicemen set up to peacefully oppose war marched to the Cenotaph from Trafalgar Square and laid a wreath of predominantly White poppies.
NEW COLD WAR NEWS
* "A New Cold War with A Different Enemy" (2017-01-31, BATR RealPolitik Newsletter) [archive.is/nlxK5]
* "The Trump Administration’s Disturbing US Anti-China Saber Rattling" (2017-01-27, by Stephen Lendman) [archive.is/egjJc]
* "Will Washington’s New Pro-Moscow, Anti-Beijing Gang Drive a Wedge Through the BRICS in 2017?" (2017-01-06, by Patrick Bond) [archive.is/RYo0Z]
* "Will Trump hop on an American Silk Road? If it's a trade war with China he would rather have, the new president will find himself on the back foot from day one" (2017-01-23, by Pepe Escobar) [archive.is/FjY42]
* "Moscow has ‘no naive expectations’ about resetting ties with US – Lavrov" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/Oa3Us]
* "California state lawmaker wants schools to teach about Russian hacks" (2017-01-23, thehill.com) [archive.is/Att2R]
* "EU expands task force aimed at combatting alleged Russian propaganda" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/DIGkq], attached video [is.gd/UOQI7n]
* "Iran warns US against 'creating new tensions' as UNSC to meet over suspected missile test" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/v3MWT]
NEW COLD WAR NEWS
* "Why Trump Won’t Scrap ‘Obsolete’ NATO" (2017-01-25, strategic-culture.org) [archive.is/XGrSD]
* "NATO builds up Gulf presence through new center in Kuwait" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/dOojO]
* "Broke Royal Navy gets hefty bill for escorting Russian fleet" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/MHb1M]
* "Russian ‘Admiral Kuznetsov’ carrier gets familiar welcome on return journey through English Channel" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/Xy00H]
* " 'VLAD WILL SMASH BRITAIN IN ONE DAY!' Russians plot to turn UK into Siberian-style labour camp over claims Putin could defeat British Army ‘in a single afternoon’ ; Report slating the state of the army was met with glee in Moscow and by Russian internet users" (2017-01-24, thesun.co.uk) [archive.is/AZ6Xp]
* "Top British general given £100k for home upkeep… while soldiers live in squalor" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/eLKC5]
* "US troops hold joint drills in Poland to ensure ‘unlikely attack from East even more unlikely’ " (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/Rmum8], attached video [is.gd/SLdEH9]
* "Germany begins tank deployment to Lithuania as part of NATO commitment to Baltics" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/lsVze]
NEW COLD WAR NEWS
World Context & Events
Including information on Institutions of Self-Government not recognized by the United Nations, as defined by the USA State Dept.'s legal statement supporting unilateral declarations of independence (2009-07) (.pdf) [is.gd/6MJUTQ], and by the UN International Court (2010-07-22) [archive.is/mc6sX], recognizing the jurisdictions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) (.pdf) [is.gd/ek1oFs] including EEZ territorial boundaries [archive.is/wl8Oj], the Antarctic Treaty System (ATS) [archive.is/UtXrm]. Notes on Diplomatic Recognition [archive.is/qGIGd].
Evaluated by Bay Area MPD Committees, serving as a 5th World News service [FifthWorldNews.blogspot.com], more news sites: [globalresearch.ca] [southfront.org] [fmso.leavenworth.army.mil] [corpwatch.org] [fpif.org]
Space Race: The Partitioning of Planets
The Outer Space Treaty (OST) [archive.is/CLCXG]; Space Law [archive.is/QuYL1]; USA Space Property Law [archive.is/beU61] , USA space mining law [archive.is/5HG4r] [archive.is/Y8ZVV] [archive.is/w57h7] [archive.is/6hZIR]
* "Race me to the Moon: Google Lunar X finalists face landing test to win prestigious prize" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/MFqyG]
Global Anarchist vanguards & autonomous zones
[anarchistnews.org] [ainfos.ca] [libcom.org] [anarchiststudies.org] [a-revolt.org] [wsm.ie] [facebook.com/SolidarityTimes] [redblack.org] [cnt-f.org]
* "Autonomous spaces in Slovenia under attack, support the struggle!" Call for solidarity actions for INDE squat in Koper, Republic of Slovenia, European Union (2017-01-24, komunal.org) [archive.is/QJkUX]
* "Glasgow Events ~~Glasgow Autonomy Update" (2017-01-21, glasgowanarchists.wordpress.com) [archive.is/CzhDe]
* "Housing is a social right - To organize social / self defense class" (2017-01-24, by A.P.O., apo.squathost.com; machine translated by Ainfos.ca Newswire) [archive.is/n9z53]
United States of Mexico
* "Mexico ready to re-negotiate NAFTA, but warns it is ready to ditch free trade deal with US" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/vgFUl]
* "Mexico: State steps up pressure on autonomous Oaxaca groups" (2017-01-18, freedomnews.org.uk) [archive.is/QtGFv]
Republic of Colombia
* "Colombian Government – ELN Peace Talks To Begin February 7" (2017-01-20, nsnbc.me) [archive.is/g5VeM]
* "Colombian Government Released Two ELN Prisoners Ahead Of Peace Talks" (2017-01-30, nsnbc.me) [archive.is/f3gd5]
* "ICC Chief Prosecutor Bensouda Threatens With Intervention in Colombia" (2017-01-27, nsnbc.me) [archive.is/OkBNl] [begin excerpt]:
Fatou Bensouda, chief prosecutor at the International Criminal Court (ICC) said the court will intervene and prosecute cases if Colombia’s transitional justice system, established under the peace accord between the State and the FARC-EP fails to effectively prosecute military and guerrilla commanders over war crimes or crimes against humanity. The ICC has increasingly been subject to criticism as an institution that fails at delivering unbiased justice while it complicates peace and reconciliation.
ICC Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda sent a signal about the possibility of an intervention in a column, published in the weekly Semana. Bensouda criticized the revised peace agreement signed between the administration of Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia – People’s Army (FARC-EP) on November 24, 2016. Besouda stressed that “all direct references to the Rome Statute’s Article 28 have been eliminated” from the accord.
The accord includes a transitional justice system which has been widely criticized by Colombia’s ex-president Alvaro Uribe and the opposition Democratic Center Party. However, proponents of the transitional justice system stress that reaching a peace accord and ending 52 years of armed conflict between the State and the FARC-EP would not have been possible at all without a transitional justice system that prioritizes the needs of Colombians for peace and reconciliation higher than the Rome Statute and the increasingly controversial ICC.
Article 28 of the Rome Statute obligates all member states of the ICC to adequately prosecute military and guerrilla commanders responsible for war crimes committed under their command structure. [end excerpt]
Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ALBA member)
News & Info: [venezuelanalysis.com]; [rnv.gob.ve]; ALBA Ciudad 96.3 FM [albaciudad.org]; Public Ministry [mp.gob.ve]; [issuu.com/tribuna_popular]
* "CELAC Voices Solidarity with Venezuela in Face of US Interventionism" (2017-01-25, venezuelanalysis.com) [archive.is/Q76hY]
* "Venezuela Grants New Powers to Vice-President" (2017-01-31, venezuelanalysis.com) [archive.is/L3g18]
* "Venezuelan Supreme Court: The President Has Not Abandoned His Post" (2017-01-31, venezuelanalysis.com) [archive.is/YRWeO]:
Venezuela’s Supreme Court (TSJ) has blocked an attempt by Congress to oust President Nicolas Maduro over the allegation that he has “abandoned his post”.
Earlier in January, the opposition-controlled National Assembly (AN) approved an agreement stating that the president should be dismissed, accusing him of being responsible for a “serious rupture of the constitutional and democratic order,” the “devastation” of the country’s economy, and human rights abuses.
Opposition lawmakers argued that the declaration was based on Article 233 of the Bolivarian Constitution, which outlines the circumstances under which the president can be considered to have permanently vacated the position.
However, on Monday, Venezuela’s highest court released a statement confirming that there were no constitutional grounds for President Maduro's removal from office, and criticised the AN's interpretation of the article as “fraudulent and insurrectional”.
“The President of the Republic, citizen Nicolas Maduro Moros, has not been absent, nor separated in any moment, from the exercise of his post, nor has he ceased to exercise his constitutional responsibilities since the beginning of his mandate, which is a public, well-known and communicable indisputable fact,” reads the declaration.
In the official ruling, the high court describes opposition lawmakers’ actions as an attempt to set in motion a “coup d'etat” against the president of the Republic and to “subvert the established constitutional order”.
“(This) responds to their interest in destabilisation, with the only intention of changing the legitimately constituted government through an unconstitutional procedure,” continues the top judicial body.
TSJ judges also went on to reprimand the opposition coalition, the Democratic Unity Roundtable, for having continuously flouted the court’s previous orders demanding that congress remove three opposition legislators pending investigations into voter fraud. The court has released several statements declaring the National Assembly to be in contempt of court and consequently void, as well as warning the legislative body not to overstep its constitutional boundaries.
According to the Constitution, the Venezuelan president can be considered to have “abandoned his post” through his death, resignation, destitution by the TSJ or his “physical or mental incapacity” as corroborated by a medical committee.
Nonetheless, opposition legislators have prioritised removing Maduro from office through a variety of initiatives since winning a congressional majority in the legislative elections of December 2015.
* "Venezuelan Opposition to Present “Alternative Proposal” for Dialogue with Government" (2017-01-25, venezuelanalysis.com) [archive.is/XPhd7]
* "Venezuela’s Maduro Denounces “Xenophobic” Remarks by Colombian Vice-President" (2017-01-30, venezuelanalysis.com) [archive.is/M5V2P]: Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro demanded an apology from Colombian Vice-President German Vargas Lleras Sunday after the latter suggested Venezuelans would be excluded from the neighboring country’s social programs.
Speaking at the unveiling of a new public housing complex in North Santander province, Vargas Lleras announced, “These houses are for the displaced population of Tibú [municipality]…this is not for venecos,” using a derogatory Colombian term for Venezuelans.
“There is not a single place in Colombia where persons not from the country are permitted to benefit from social programs,” he added.
Maduro, for his part, fired back at the Colombian leader, condemning the statements as a “xenophobic aggression against the people of Venezuela” and demanding an official retraction.
“I know the mission of this oligarchic gentleman [Vargas Lleras] is to poison the diplomatic and political relations between our countries and our peoples, and I’m clear that I can’t let that happen,” the Venezuelan head of state declared, speaking on his television program “Sundays with Maduro”.
Maduro, himself of Colombian roots, stressed the inclusivity of Venezuelan social programs, which are available to the over 5.8 million Colombians who have emigrated to Venezuela, in many cases fleeing the neighboring country’s over half century long armed conflict.
“In Venezuela, no one asks you where you are from in order to receive free healthcare, education, and housing,” he affirmed.
According to Tachira Governor Jose Gregorio Vielma Mora, the Great Venezuelan Housing Mission has provided housing to 10,140 Colombian émigré families in the border state.
Maduro also underscored Venezuela’s role in mediating the Colombian government’s peace talks with the FARC and the ELN guerrilla groups.
“I have great differences with [Colombian] President Santos but I am helping him secure peace with the FARC and the ELN… Colombia and Venezuela are twin sister [nations] now and forever,” he concluded.
NEW AFRIKAN PEACE MOVEMENT newswire
[NewAfricaPeace.blogspot.com] An overview of Africa and the Diapora, with the Green Charter Committee, towards Pan-Afrikan Solidarity and Liberation!
* "17 million face hunger in Horn of Africa due to drought" (2017-01-29, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/1QCKh]
* "Eltek to Provide Solar Energy for Hospitals in Zimbabwe under UNDP Programme" (2017-01-24, @EltekCorp) [archive.is/VKTWQ]
* "New drilling underway in Senegalese hot spot FAR Ltd. starts new appraisal effort at one of West Africa's more promising basins" (2017-01-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/xPzaW]
* "UN Security Council renews call for more troops in South Sudan" (2017-01-23, AFP newswire) [archive.is/gQfVu]
* "Turkey’s President Erdogan Visits Mozambique" (2017-01-24, nsnbc.me) [archive.is/FZjHN]
Republic of Crimea (part of the Federation of Russia; claimed by the Republic of Ukraine)
* "Oleg Tsarev: Crimea is the Intermediate Stage of the Reunification of Russia With Ukraine; The politician told NSN why Ukrainians believe that they live worse than Crimeans" (2017-01-29, Nsn.fm, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/9gqgX]:
A resident of Kharkov on the air political programs on Ukrainian TV burst into an angry tirade aimed at the authorities. According to him, the population of “occupied Crimea” live better than Ukrainians. On the Peninsula prices are lower and wages are higher. In his words, in this situation, “it is unclear who is the aggressor”. Politician, former member of Parliament Oleg Tsarev told NSN why Ukrainians, despite the opposite opinions regarding the affiliation of the Peninsula, still are not eager to leave.
“I am a supporter of the reunification of Russia with Ukraine, so it is not surprising that I’m counting on it, and Crimea in this case is an intermediate stage. Some problems still exist, but roads are built, Kerch bridge US is being constructed, and the gas and electricity supply is established. Not all at once, but pensions are higher and salaries are higher also. And most importantly, people feel in Russia like at home,” stated the politician.
But the day prior, the Ukrainian authorities published plans for the reintegration of Crimea. The document envisages reforms in the territories controlled by Kiev, but the Ukrainian political analyst Oleg Soskin in an interview with NSN said that the return of Crimea can only happen through war. And the resident of Kharkov, complained that he had not managed to exchange his apartment for one in Crimea. According to him, no one wants to take such a step.
“In Russia, utility bills are lower, as well as the cost of gas. Crimea for 20 years was a part of Ukraine, and almost nothing was done. Much has changed for the better, and we hope that it will be much better in Crimea,” said Tsarev, sharing his expectations.
Crimea became a part of Russia in 2014 as a result of a referendum. More than 95% of the inhabitants of the peninsula voted for reunification with Russia.
Republic of Turkey (NATO member state)
* "Turkey & UK Sign Defense Deal and Boost Trade Ties" (2017-01-29, nsnbc.me) [archive.is/lzilU]
* "DTK, HDK, TJA, DBP and HDP release a 'NO' declaration on referendum; DTK, HDK, TJA, DBP and HDP released a joint 'NO' declaration for the upcoming referendum process, and called for a joint struggle against a centralist, statist, monist, gendered and nationalist constitution based on AKP-MHP alliance" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/EfmrGh], photo [archive.is/nnC2d]
* "PACE concerned over Turkey's revised constitution and referendum; PACE Monitoring Committee expressed serious doubts about the desirability of holding a referendum under the state of emergency and on-going security operations in southeast Turkey" (2017-01-27, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/Yc6ErV]
* "Karayılan: AKP-MHP concept based on animosity against Kurds; PKK Executive Council Member Murat Karayılan stated that the AKP have defined a purpose for themselves to ensure the Kurdish people aren’t a part of the redesign of the region and that they can defeat the Kurds absolutely" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/jfZcPP]
Is Bana being used to save Erdogan's reputation? Yes. All traces of his support to jihadists will be swept away. Better late than never, I guess. He has Lindsay Lohan now too ROFL!!!
* "Keskin: World Health Organization should investigate the Turkish prisons; IHD Co-chair Eren Keskin pointed out the increasingly severe condition of the sick arrestees in prisons and that they had no more opportunities for treatment under the State of Emergency, and called on the World Health Organisation to investigate" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/8WecOW]
Republic of Iraq: War News
* "Iraqi Army Troops Recapture Two Villages from ISIS in North of Mosul" (2017-01-27, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/mwdN8], attached video [is.gd/J0APKx], photo caption: Iraqi army vehicles secure a street on January 22, 2017 at the entrance of St. George's Monastery, a historical Chaldean Catholic church on the northern outskirt of Mosul, which was destroyed by Daesh Takfiri terrorists in 2015.
* "ISIL Using , Wooden Jeeps, Military Vehicles" photo essay (2017-01-29, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/5E8pM]: The Iraqi army captured a handful of the mock-ups at a training site it took from the ISIL. The army says the purpose of building the mock-up vehicles is not yet clear.
Photos [archive.is/8LlYL] [archive.is/KaGz6] [archive.is/WZlMM] [archive.is/LdlAN] [archive.is/X10Nt] [archive.is/Mf0Bu] [archive.is/nFlcP] [archive.is/bTk0Q] [archive.is/Z7kOR].
Arab Republic of Syria: Diplomatic and Civil News
[sana.sy/en] [syriatimes.sy] [facebook.com/United.Syrian.Republic] [sana-syria.org] [joshualandis.com/blog] [syriasolidaritymovement.org] [syrianfreepress.wordpress.com] [syrianews.cc] [acloserlookonsyria.shoutwiki.com] [syrianperspective.com] [breakingnews.sy/en.html] [almasdarnews.com] [facebook.com/SyrianWarNewsInfoMedia]
* "Astana talks proved West losing its influence in Middle East" (2017-01-28, en.insidesyriamc.com) [archive.is/lesgB]
* "Astana meeting on Syria ends up with fiasco; The 'Syrian talks' commenced in Astana yesterday have ended up with fiasco, as was expected" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/Xouv8N]
* "Astana meeting on Syria ‘hopefully good basis for Geneva talks’ - Putin" (2017-01-25, rt.com) [archive.is/ZlBXJ]
* "The Full Text of The New Syrian Draft Constitution in English" (2017-01-31, via 4thmedia.org) [archive.is/7oTwk]: Inside Syria Media Center is publishing the new draft constitution for Syria in English which was presented by Russian diplomats to the Syrian opposition’s delegation during the recent peace talks in Astana. The draft consists of proposals which are covered by Arab Mass Media.
The preliminary version of the suggested constitution promotes the Kurdish Cultural Autonomy. It would also set limits on presidential terms, and would decentralize Syrian state authority.
[Read the full text of the Syrian Republic Draft Constitution at the link]
* "Rep. Gabbard calls on US govt to stop ‘supporting terrorists’ after meeting Syria civilians & Assad" (2017-01-26, rt.com) [archive.is/UXgVv]
* "Power split & minority rights among cornerstones of Russia-proposed Syrian Constitution – leaked doc" (2017-01-27, rt.com) [archive.is/LwF9x], photo caption: Sergei Vershinin, center, director of the Middle East Department at the Russian Foreign Ministry, and Alexander Lavrentyev, right, Russian special presidential representative for Syria, during a meeting on Syria in Astana
* "Trump gives Pentagon 30 days to develop strategy to defeat ISIS in Iraq & Syria" (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/jVvGw]
* "First Football Match Since 2012 Held on Aleppo Stadium" (2017-01-29, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/VYsfb], attached video [is.gd/H37qLO]: Peace slowly but surely returns to Aleppo as the city stadium hosted its first football match since the beginning of the five-years long battle for the metropolis in 2012. It will be a long time before Aleppo is restored to its former glory, but the city residents remain determined to see it happen.
Arab Republic of Syria: War News
* "SYRIA: UNDECLARED US-NATO WAR Of Aggression, Using Al Qaeda Terrorism; As An Instrument Of Death And Destruction" (updated 2017-01-31, by Prof. Michel Chossudovsky) [archive.is/95FGq], a history of the last 6 years...
* "Battle for Syria" photo essay (2017-01-29, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/p49LF]: The Syrian military conflict depicted in war with ISIL. Photos [archive.is/It6RT] [archive.is/fINqs] [archive.is/P5s06] [archive.is/Cd8NJ] [archive.is/NZ8ZI] [archive.is/BbtM2] [archive.is/bx9nG] [archive.is/9sPmi] [archive.is/x3uKX] [archive.is/JPuWW] [archive.is/VBu8V] [archive.is/6kQkd].
* "Syria army enters key water plant near capital: state TV" (2017-01-28, AFP Newswire) [is.gd/pDiciI]
* "Damascus: Residents Condemn Terrorists for Water Shortage" photo essay (2017-01-28, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/cwyCE]: Photos [archive.is/6ryEK] [archive.is/llxSO] [archive.is/mocTv] [archive.is/nqRUc] [archive.is/M4cjy] [archive.is/N6Rkf] [archive.is/dKbJB] [archive.is/1YbxC] [archive.is/Eqa9E].
* "Russian long-range bombers destroy IS targets in Syria’s Deir ez-Zor" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/EQyeO], attached video [is.gd/vnH8O4]
* "Trump administration sends armored vehicles to Syrian rebels" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/FKs7u]
Regional map [archive.is/28m8f], Map of Liberated Cantons of West and South Kurdistan (2016) [archive.is/f7ImY], "Greater Kurdistan" map [archive.is/laloo]; News [kurdishdailynews.org] [facebook.com/pages/International-freedom-battalion/1597451687171173][turkeyharvest.blogspot.com] [kurdishquestion.com] [kurdishmatters.com] [kurdishrights.org] [ekurd.net][kurdishquestion.com]; Co-Operative Economy in Rojava & Bakur [cooperativeeconomy.info]
* " ‘Şehîd Ronahî Youth Centre’ to open in London; The ‘Şehîd Ronahî Youth Centre’ will open on the 28th of January 2017 with a ceremony in the capital of England, London" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/YDLWpU]
North Kurdistan (Bakur), within the jurisdiction of the Republic of Turkey
* "ECHR President: Isolation of Öcalan is a violation of his right; The ECHR President Guido Raimondi stated that the isolation of Kurdish People’s Leader Abdullah Öcalan violates the European Convention on Human Rights" (2017-01-26, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/9avfDI]
* "FEDA group takes over the Strasbourg vigil for Öcalan in its 241st week; The Freedom for Öcalan Vigil in front of the Council of Europe building in Strasbourg, France, that began on June 25, 2012, is in its 241st week" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/FMBcqs]
* " 'Freedom for Öcalan' marches to be held around the world; Kurds and their allies will be holding long marches in Europe and in various countries throughout the world to protest the International Conspiracy of February 15" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/DbKPtr]
* "Heyva Sor pledges further support for Northern Kurdistan in 2017; Heyva Sor a Kurdistanê held its 25th Congress where it decided to provide further support for the people of Northern Kurdistan facing genocidal attacks of the Turkish state" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/NV3wwA]
* "Karayılan: The political stance of Kurdish people has defeated the AKP; PKK's Murat Karayılan said: 'The Turkish state is the enemy of this people. It is a foreign and colonialist state. They came and forcibly took these lands, and now when the people demand their rights, they attack with all their military force' " (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/sMqIZA]
* "Cizre Municipality seized by the state is administered by AKP members; All the investments and works of the Cizre Municipality are based “security” since the confiscation of the municipality by the state through the appointment of a trustee" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/kcVXjw]
* " ‘Urban transformation’ for Cizre’s Cudi neighborhood; ‘Urban transformation’ decision has been taken for Cizre’s Cudi neighborhood recently destroyed by the Turkish state. Residents of Cizre learned about the project through billboard commercials, and are unhappy about it" (2017-01-27, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/MxKDmq], photo [archive.is/VDY3H]
* "HPG reports sabotage action by guerrillas in Çukurca; HPG/YJA Star guerrillas carried out a sabotage action against soldiers in the countryside of Hakkari's Çukurca district" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/BycYTB]
* "YPS: 10 police killed, 17 others wounded in Amed; YPS carried out actions in Amed at the first anniversary of its establishment, leaving 10 police dead and 17 others wounded" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/ZUdG2Q]
* "15 jailed in political genocide operations in Elazığ and Amed; 15 people have been formally arrested in the most recent operations of political genocide in the provinces of Elazığ and Amed" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/iklD0I]
* "HDP MPs Baydemir and Yıldırım detained in Amed; HDP MPs Osman Baydemir and Ahmet Yıldırım were taken into custody at Diyarbakır Courthouse where they were following the trial in KCK Main Case" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/6bK3MV]
* "HDP Amed MP Taşçıer detained for 'insulting the President' ; HDP Amed MP İmam Taşçıer was taken into custody while leaving his house in Amed" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/ej3o4m]
* "Court rules continuation of detention for Tuncel and Kışanak; During the first hearing, court has ruled the continuation of detention for Sebahat Tuncel and Gültan Kışanak" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/i1s23J]
* "HDP Iğdır MP detained for “forced court appearance” in Istanbul; HDP Iğdır MP Mehmet Emin Adıyaman has been detained in Istanbul this morning and taken to court to give a statement" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/YjtkKO]
* "Mardin Co-mayor Ahmet Türk, jailed in Elazığ, hospitalized; Mardin Co-mayor Ahmet Türk, who is among the Kurdish politicians held hostage by the AKP government, has been hospitalized" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/eAVDgp]
* "Police search in Doğubeyazıt Municipality continues for the second day; The search started by police after a raid on Doğubeyazıt Municipality continues in its second day" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/DpJm46]
* "Co-mayors of Uludere dismissed after detention; Uludere Co-mayors Zeynep Üren and Yunus Ürek have been dismissed after their detention the day before" (2017-01-27, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/TuthBx], photos [archive.is/ZlELo]
* "Trustee appointed to Ağrı's Doğubayazıt District Municipality; Yet another DBP-held municipality in Northern Kurdistan has been seized by the state through a trustee" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/qYTmMZ]
* "37 teachers detained in İzmir and two jailed journalists held in isolation; The political genocide practices of the AKP/Palace regime continue both across the country and in prisons" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/oPuB6z]
* "Demirtaş: Court decision an insult against six million people; HDP Co-chair Selahattin Demirtaş rejected the accusations directed at him in a case commenced in Erciş, and denounced a violation of his right to do politics and to represent his people" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/w340sr]
* "HDP Party Assembly member Ahmet Kaya formally arrested; Detained in Ankara yesterday, HDP Party Assembly member Ahmet Kaya has been formally arrested and sent to prison today" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/TSJiWz]
* "Detained HDP MPs released after 'forced court appearance' ; HDP deputies Osman Baydemir, Ahmet Yıldırım, Mehmet Emin Adıyaman and İmam Taşçıer who were detained earlier today, have been released after 'forced court appearance' " (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/YRXZcr]
* "HDP MPs have talks with European officials during PACE sessions; The HPD parliamentarians who participated in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe meetings that began in Strasbourg on Monday and ended today met with several European officials" (2017-01-27, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/bAxpnT], photo [archive.is/e1loT]
* "HDP MPs Beştaş and Kaya detained during police raids; Turkish police conducted operations against HDP parliamentarians last night" (2017-02-38, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/onbFI5], photos [archive.is/YiZKH]
* "HDP's Baluken to stand trial on Monday; The first trial of the case for which HDP deputy co-chair İdris Baluken was jailed will be held on January 30" (2017-01-27, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/vcPuiO], photo [archive.is/OCjz6]
* "HDP MP İdris Baluken released from prison; HDP deputy co-chair and Amed MP İdris Baluken has been released from prison" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/mY2Mcq]
* "Turkish Court Frees HDP Lawmaker Idris Baluken" (2017-01-30, nsnbc.me) [archive.is/mBXmB]
* "HDP Spokesperson Ayhan Bilgen detained at Ankara airport; HDP Spokesperson Ayhan Bilgen has been detained at Ankara's Esenboğa Airport Sunday morning" (2017-01-29, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/tfawxJ], photo [archive.is/47vXs]
* "HDP: Arrests are not judicial but political; HDP said: 'You can not break or change our political will by taking us hostage, or through arrests and detentions. You can not stop us from conducting our 'No' campaign before the upcoming referendum with threats or intimidation' " (2017-01-29, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/Qlxgae]:
Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) Central Executive Board (MYK) has released a statement regarding the ongoing operations of detainments.
HDP recalled that the party Spokesperson and Kars MP Ayhan Bilgen was detained this morning following the unlawful detentions yesterday of HDP Istanbul MP Hüda Kaya, Diyarbakır MP Altan Tan and Adana MP Meral Danış Beştaş.
The full statement by HDP Central Executive Board is as follows:
“It is clear to see that the referendum campaign of the Erdogan-AKP-MHP alliance seeks to intimidate our MPs with such unlawful detentions.
The Judiciary and the Erdogan-AKP-MHP alliance are working in a synchronized and coordinated manner. The statement made by Government Spokesperson Numan Kurtulmus while our Party Spokesperson remains detained, declaring that 'the judicial process must be observed' is merely a futile attempt to lay the blame elsewhere.
The process is not a judicial one, it is political. The parliamentary immunity of our MPs has been lifted in breach both of the Constitution and international democratic conventions. Our co-chairs and MPs are being held hostage in prisons in violation of binding precedents of the Constitutional Court. The parliamentary immunity of our MPs has been lifted only retroactively meaning they all currently hold parliamentary immunity. The government Spokesperson Kurtulmus is fully aware of the unlawful nature of the situation, however, he prefers to distort the facts.
These arrests and detentions are government actions and the political responsibility belongs to the government. In saying "there is no single type of decision" Kurtulmus is actually revealing this fact. These decisions are arbitrary and retaliatory. Our Co-Chairs and some of our deputies continue to be arbitrarily held [hostage] in prison, while others are taken into custody and are later released. The Government Spokesperson should know very well that no statement will save them from the political responsibility of the crime they are committing.
The only true words government Spokesperson Kurtulmus uttered today were, "HDP was a chance". This is why Erdogan and AKP are trying to eradicate this chance: They have realized that the people of this country have come to recognize this truth. The presence of a democratic power, a grassroots movement that has the potential to stop them politically has led them to take the decision to carry out this unlawful purge, an operation carried out outside the field of politics.
You can not break or change our political will by taking us hostage, or through arrests and detentions. You can not stop us from conducting our 'No' campaign before the upcoming referendum with threats or intimidation."
* "HDP Van MP Nadir Yıldırım detained in Amed; HDP Van MP Nadir Yıldırım has been taken into custody in Amed" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/FCFe0T]
* "HDP MP Önder: We want justice for Ahmet Türk, not mercy; HDP’s Sırrı Süreyya Önder pointed out Ahmet Türk’s health condition and said: 'Our demand is not compassion or mercy. Our demand is justice' " (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/XSWhls]
* "Arrest warrant for HDP MPs Ayhan Bilgen and Meral Danış Beştaş; Arrest warrant has been issued for HDP Spokesperson Ayhan Bilgen and MP Meral Danış Beştaş after Diyarbakır Public Prosecutor's Office filed an objection to their release after a recent detention" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/PVHONn]
* "HDP MP Beştaş formally arrested; HDP Adana MP Meral Danış Beştaş has been arrested formally on charges of 'membership to a terrorist organization' " (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/mEDc1e], photo [archive.is/bUlUA]
* "HDP Spokesperson Ayhan Bilgen jailed; HDP Spokesperson and Kars MP Ayhan Bilgen has been jailed following an arrest warrant issued yesterday for him alongside HDP Adana MP Meral Danış Beştaş who was also jailed last night" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/I4LP8y], photo [archive.is/jvH3N]
* " 'Forced court appearance' order for HDP Amed MP Ziya Pir; An Amed court has issued 'forced court appearance' order and 'ban on leaving the country' for HDP Amed MP Ziya Pir" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/1bUlC6]
* "HDP Van MP Lezgin Botan detained for 'forced court appearance' ; HDP Van deputy Lezgin Botan has been taken into custody" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/Z79SbS]
* "13 HDP members detained in Adana; 13 members of the HDP were taken into custody in the southern province of Adana" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/fuYIb0]
* "HDP Co-chair Yüksekdağ sends a letter to metal workers; HDP Co-chair Figen Yüksekdağ has sent a letter to metal workers whose strike has brought an attainment, saying: 'Those who unite, act in solidarity, struggle and resist do triumph' " (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/PxWPAD]
* "Artist Ferhat Tunç detained and forcibly taken to court in Istanbul; Police raided artist Ferhat Tunç's house in Istanbul and took him into custody this morning" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/ptJO8a]
* "Co-mayor of Ağrı's Tutak district jailed; Co-mayor of Ağrı's Tutak district has been jailed alongside two other people for alleged “membership to a terrorist organisation” " (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/Mo329g]
* "Nuda Cultural Center in Van will turn into security directorate; The Van Security Directorate, unable to build outposts wherever they pleased when DBP had the municipality, has sprung into action once more with the appointment of trustees" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/PDKG4R], photo [archive.is/JhwgM]
* "Assets of the Kurdish Institute of Istanbul seized; Assets of the Kurdish Institute of Istanbul, which was closed down in December 2016, have been seized today" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/Edp3vh], photo [archive.is/rfx0D]
* "Elazığ’s Karakoçan district municipality also seized; DBP’s Karakoçan Municipality has been seized by the government" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/3nna5K], photo [archive.is/KbHtQ]
* "Fire in Batman destroys Yılmaz Güney Cinema; The Yılmaz Güney Cinema in Batman city center went down in ashes in a fire" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/T3smLE]
* "Minor injured in Adana prison fire dies; Jailed minor Ferhat Kaya who got injured in the fire that broke out in an Adana prison last week, has died after 8 days of struggle for life" (2017-01-25, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/RkeSEC]
* "Inmates on hunger strike in Edirne Prison face provocation; Inmates on hunger strike in Edirne F Type Closed Prison since January 17 are facing provocations from the prison administration with raids, insults and swearwords" (2017-01-29, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/QrWoiv], photo [archive.is/RgbJ5]
* "Inmates in İzmir Şakran Prison protest increasing right violations; Inmates in İzmir's Şakran T4 Closed Prison have started a protest against the increasing rights violations and pressures in jail" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/YyOf1J]
* " "Van Closed Prison has turned into a torture center" ; Political prisoner held in Van Closed Prison Adem Er sent a letter and said that he has been battered by the guards constantly and that the Van Closed Prison has turned into a torture center" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/aJuvqF]
* "14 ISIS members killed in two villages of Manbij; ISIS attacks on two villages of Manbij were repelled and at least 14 ISIS members were killed. The aggression of the gangs killed 4 civilians in Til Hodan village" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/OYuULs]
* "Turkish aerial activity over Medya Defense Zones; Reports are coming through of Turkish aerial activity over guerrilla-held Medya Defense Zones in Southern Kurdistan territory" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/7pJCTs]
* "Xıdır Salih: This will be the year of autonomy for Shenga; Shengal Construction Assembly President Xıdır Salih said preparations are underway for the declaration of autonomy in Shengal, which will be made soon" (2017-01-26, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/gtp9Dw], attached video [youtube.com/watch?v=WCtHTJbUeEc]:
Shengal Construction Assembly President Xıdır Salih evaluated the preparations for Shengal’s declaration of autonomy for ANF and said that 2017 would be the year of self-administration.
Salih stated that Êzidî people will announce their autonomous administration for the first time in history, and described the refusal to live under the occupation of others as an honorable stance. Salih said "Our society has experienced pain and hardship under the oppression and occupation of others. I can describe today as the day of resurrection. I see that the mothers of martyrs and our mothers have great expectations of us. We promise that we will not fail them and that we will construct a free Shengal and Ezidxan. We will dedicate the autonomy declaration to the mothers that have sacrificed their children to this struggle. We will not backtrack on our struggle and rights.”
"WE WILL DO WHAT IS NECESSARY" -
Salih remarked that they will answer the call if people want autonomy, and declare self-administration in Shengal in 2017, noting that this autonomy will be acknowledged by the Iraqi government an all international powers.
“Shengal Construction Assembly is the umbrella organization of the entire Êzidî society. Shengal Assembly is not affiliated with any party or political view. It is the recipient of all aid to be sent to Shengal. Everyone, no matter from which party, should prioritize the interest of Êzidî people if they are to participate in the Construction Assembly. I called upon the Êzidî community to come together and establish the unity of Êzidîs.”
"WE WILL DECLARE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE" -
Salih recalled that the Construction Assembly has been assuming the responsibility of all institutions over the past two years, and would declare Shengal’s autonomy in its third year. He said preparations are underway for the declaration of autonomy in Shengal, which will be made soon.
Lastly, Shengal Construction Assembly President Xıdır Salih said "Our struggle is the struggle of all Êzidîs. It is not just the cause of a political party. This assembly is the assembly of entire Shengal. Everyone that wants to live freely should be able to support this autonomy project. This project is for the future of Ezidxan children.
* "Manbij Executive Assembly declared; Manbij Civilian Assembly has declared the establishment of Manbij Executive Assembly" (2017-01-29, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/0sh66u], photo [archive.is/DoRwI]:
Manbij Civilian Assembly released the final declaration of the meeting it held yesterday.
The final declaration called attention to the ongoing deaths and destruction as the Syrian crisis enters its 7th year, saying: “There is no trust left that international forces will produce a resolution to the crisis. Practices of terrorist groups and the Ba'ath regime government has left hundreds of thousands of civilians death and many cities of Syria razed and burned to the ground.
With the eruption of the crisis, gang groups entered these lands and put their own plans against the interests of the Syrian people into practice, which made Syria a field of battle between international and regional forces. The only way to overcome this tragedy and crisis is to build a democratic and decentralized Syria.
On 21 January, 2014 the city of Manbij was invaded by ISIS gangs who subjected people to massacre, abduction, pillage, destruction and all kinds of atrocity. Manbij Civilian Assembly declared its establishment on people's demand on April 5, 2016. After its liberation on August 12, 2016 the city was ruled by Manbij Civilian Assembly on the basis of principles of co-existence.
Despite all the restricted means, Manbij Civilian Council led the works for the organization of the people, formed schools, health centers, Social Justice Centre, institutions, People's Municipality, committees of defense, service and re-construction, and practised co-chair system in all institutions. Alongside these, it worked for the expansion of the Assembly, and for the involvement of Kurdish, Arab, Turkmen, Circassian and Chechen residents of the city in its body. Based on democracy, fraternity and co-existence of peoples, it assured the rights of all faith, sect and cultural groups, and reversed the destructive mentality of dominant systems.
A dignified life can be created in Syria based on its own economy, underground and overland treasures. As Manbij Civilian Assembly, our primary mission is to liberate our country from the tragedy it is suffering at the moment, and to make the hopes of the people true. The crisis in Syria can be settled with internal negotiation and dialogue. We thank all the SDF and Manbij Military Council fighters for their liberation of our city from ISIS gangs."
Following the final declaration, Manbij Executive Council with 15 members was declared.
* "Two YPS members martyred in a clash in Kızıltepe; Two YPS members were martyred in a clash with Turkish forces in Kızıltepe, Mardin on January 21" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/xzWFG9]
South Kurdistan (Basur), within the jurisdiction of the Republic of Iraq
Provincial map [archive.is/4a18W]
* "Iraq’s Kurdistan Autonomous Region Prepares for Elections – Or Does It?" (2017-01-24, nsnbc.me) [archive.is/WnaOx]
* "Kurdish militia tortured children to extract ISIS confessions – HRW" (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/jj3xO], the war crimes being done by a military trained by the USA and UKGB!
West Kurdistan (Rojava), within the jurisdiction of the Arab Republic of Syria, governed by the Rojava Kurdistan Democratic Autonomous Administration
Map [archive.is/7Z32s]. News [rojavareport.wordpress.com], Documents (2016) [archive.is/8z7EN]
* "Kobanê Resistance: Victory of Ideology; At its core, Kobanê Resistance is the victory of ideology and political mentality. Fighters of Kobanê Resistance defeated ISIS with the strength of their ideology and political cause.The ideology and mentality of ISIS was defeated in Kobanê" (2017-01-27, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/1i286H], photo [archive.is/f30pA]
* " 'Trump administration will continue coordination with Rojava' ; Meclisa Suriya Demokratîk (MSD - Syrian Democratic Council) Co-chair Ilham Ehmed and Assyrian Assembly Chair Besam Ishaq held diplomatic meetings in the US right before Astana talks" (2017-01-30, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/iPtyql]
* "Interview with Commander Cihan Kendal of YPG" (2017-01-17, Collectif Alternative Libertaire Bruxelles; machine translated by Ainfos.ca Newswire) [archive.is/TJ9vd]
* "After the coup - a visit to Istanbul & north Kurdistan - interview with activist researcher" (2017-01-22, wsm.ie) [archive.is/fVssk], listen [is.gd/q007FT]: Farah recently visited Istanbul and Northern Kurdistan around Amed / Diyarbakir to interview feminist and Kurdish activists. In this interview on her return to Ireland we talk about the massive repression against the left and Kurdish movement that has seen tens of thousands fired from their jobs and thousands including many of the HDP MPs jailed. We also talk about how Istanbul still remains a hub for internationalists on their way to Rojava and on the very different ways Istanbul and Amed are policed. We move on to a discussion of the impact of the repression of the Kurdish movement in Turkey and where the future may lie both there and across the border in Rojava.
* "Ceremony in Rojava for YPG's fallen British fighter Ryan Lock; A ceremony was held in Rojava, West Kurdistan for British YPG fighter Ryan Lock who fell martyr during the Raqqa operation on 21 December, 2016" (2017-01-31, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/PwRZsQ]
* "British anti-ISIS fighter Ryan Lock ‘committed suicide to avoid capture,’ says Kurdish militia" (2017-02-01, rt.com) [archive.is/SXgK6]
* "Turkey-affiliated gangs shell a village of Efrîn; Turkey-affiliated gang groups in Azaz are shelling a village in Efrîn city of Rojava, West Kurdistan" (2017-01-24, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/cGb4Cs]
* "Turkish soldiers kill two civilians, injure five others near Rojava border; Turkish soldiers attacked civilians near the border of Rojava (Western) and Bakurê (Northern) Kurdistan, leaving two of them dead and five others injured" (2017-01-27, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/QA2XxI], photo [archive.is/Pn0Zx]
* "Turkish forces kill at least 10 more civilians in al-Bab; With the recent Turkish attacks and casualties, the number of citizens killed by Turkish shelling and attacks in al-Bab city and its countryside since November has risen to 303" (2017-10-27, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/PKaE8i], photo [archive.is/CzlMR]:
* "Mass grave discovered in Manbij; A mass grave containing the bodies of around 100 people has been discovered in Manbij" (2017-01-29, anfenglish.com) [is.gd/AvbLN2], photo [archive.is/1ZwVn]: A mass grave left behind by ISIS gangs was discovered during mine sweeping efforts near the Fırat Hospital in Manbij. The grave reportedly contains around a hundred bodies.
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia & GCC Council member states
* "End of tax-free living in Saudi Arabia as oil revenues dry up" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/u8SUi]
* "Shell continues evolution by parting with Saudi corporation; Shell's merger with BG Group sent "mixed signals" about its role in the Middle East" (2017-01-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/sjw27]
* "Saudi to launch multi-billion renewable scheme: minister" (2017-01-16, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/CGIHz]
* "President Rouhani, Kuwaiti FM meet in Tehran" photo essay (2017-01-28, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/hJRF7], photos: [archive.is/XDid7] [archive.is/z5hP9] [archive.is/0Lhgc] [archive.is/OZg4d] [archive.is/DdgSe] [archive.is/rrgGf] [archive.is/2QBhA] [archive.is/stVGW] [archive.is/gHVuX].
* "Bahrainis Stage Demo in Solidarity with Sheikh Qassim" photo essay (2017-01-29, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/6HNqt]: People in Bahrain continue demonstrations to show their constant support for distinguished Shia Muslim cleric Sheikh Isa Qassim. Photos [archive.is/vR9uK] [archive.is/i3uh4] [archive.is/14a2C] [archive.is/eSQfi] [archive.is/fVvfZ] [archive.is/SnuR1] [archive.is/5b94H] [archive.is/Tp9SI] [archive.is/dxsaf].
Yemen: War News
* "UN: Yemen could face famine in 2017, over 2/3 of population in urgent need of aid" (2017-01-28, rt.com) [archive.is/AZaA9], attached video [is.gd/ycN7Yp]
* "US soldier killed in Yemen raid on Al-Qaeda, local officials say women & children among casualties" (2017-01-29, rt.com) [archive.is/MGO7X]
* (2017-01-29) [archive.is/DiaV0]: CENTCOM totally neglects to mention the dozen civilians killed in the op.
* "Saudis admit 2 deaths in warship incident after Houthis claim anti-ship missile attack" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/ltbTC]
* "Shelling, airstrikes, mines: MSF reports on civilians & medics in crosshairs of war in Taiz, Yemen" (2017-01-31, rt.com) [archive.is/fYEUv]
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
Instead of live links, this website primarily uses Archive.is, which saves a text and a graphical copy of a web page with no active elements and no scripts, so they keep you safe as they cannot have any popups or malware! It timestamps the archived pages using UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) [worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx].
Please, donate to Archive.is [liberapay.com/archiveis/donate]. Archive.is uses Cloudflare, so users of VPN-based anonymous websurfing apps may have to set security off to avoid Captcha prompts. Because (.is) domain is blocked in some countries, you may have to download the “http everywhere” plugin into your browser [archive.is/UcbcR]. How to use Archive.is [archive.is/z9eoZ], contact [firstname.lastname@example.org].
List of other archive sites [web.archive.org] [peeep.us] [webcitation.org/archive] [webrecorder.io]